A pet vacuum cleaner is a great tool that is designed specifically with the intention of cleaning up pet hair.
In this (Updated) guide, we are going to look at the best vacuums for pet hair so that you can find one that is right for your home.
Best Vacuums for Pet Hair
|Item||Type of Vacuum||Corded or Cordlessreless||Included Attachments|
|Shark Navigator Freestyle Cordless Stick Vacuum||Stick Vacuum||Cordless||None|
|Bissell PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded Vacuum||Stick Vacuum||Corded||None|
|Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum with Pet Attachments |
|Canister Vacuum||Corded||Telescoping Wand, Crevice Tool, and Pet Power Paw|
|Bissell Pet Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner|
|Upright Vacuum||Corded||Pet TurboBrush Tool, Upholstery Tool, Dusting Brush, and Crevice Tool|
|Shark Cordless Pet Perfect II Hand Vacuum|
|Handheld Vacuum||Cordless||Dusting Brush and Crevice Tool|
|Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright Vacuum||Upright Vacuum||Corded||Pet Multi-Tool and TruPet Motorized Brush|
|Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Pet Vacuum||Upright Vacuum||Corded||Upholstery Tool, Crevice Tool, and Pet Hand Tool|
If you are looking for the best cordless stick vacuum for pet hair, then the first vacuum on our list, which is the Shark Navigator, is a great option for you to consider. It is a cordless vacuum that is lightweight and easy to maneuver; in fact, it is only about seven and a half pounds, which means that you can easily carry it up a flight of stairs if you need.
The unit cleans with a brush roll that can be set to two different speeds, which makes it possible to adjust the vacuum for cleaning on both a bare floor and carpet. It also has swivel steering that is highly advanced so that you can easily hug corners and get into hard to reach spaces with ease.
The dirt cup has an extra large design that makes it so that you do not need to empty the dirt, debris, and pet hair as frequently as you would with some pet vacuums.
- This vacuum works great on hardwood floors; in fact, you should never need to go over it more than once.
- The battery, which is included in the packaging, last for quite a while before it needs to be recharged.
- Because of the swivel head design, the vacuum easily fits around corners while you are vacuuming.
- The positioning of the on and off switch makes it difficult to vacuum under furniture.
- This vacuum does not come with any attachment tools at all, which can be useful for cleaning.
The Bissell PowerEdge is the best vacuum for pet hair and hardwood floors that we are going to review on this list. This is a stick vacuum cleaner that is designed with a V-shaped base. This design allows you to pick up all of the dust, debris, and pet hair on the floor with pure suction instead of a brush roll.
It also has a swivel head, which makes it even easier to move around and clean in tight spaces. This vacuum does not utilize a bag, which means that it is easy to use, and cleaning the dust cup takes little time and effort. In addition, because of the unique design of this model, it works great on hardwood flooring as well as carpet that is relatively thin.
This is a vacuum that utilizes a cord, which means that you will be tethered to an outlet, but this cord is about 20 feet in length, so you should not have any issues reaching the most remote areas of your home.
- This vacuum cleaner has a great amount of suction, especially on hardwood or bare floors.
- The swivel system that is built into the vacuum’s design is great for maneuverability.
- This vacuum is designed without a brush roll, so pet hair can’t get tangled around it.
- The dirt cup is not the largest options, which means that it will need to be emptied more often.
- The unique V-shape makes it difficult to vacuum up against a wall or a floorboard.
If you prefer a canister style vacuum, the best canister vacuum for pet hair that we are going to review in this guide is the Eureka Mighty Mite. It is a purple and black corded vacuum that is pleasing to the eye, and it has a cord that is 20 feet in length, which makes it easy to reach more of your home without switching outlets.
This vacuum does have a lightweight design, so even though it seems tedious to carry, the mere nine pounds will not cause you any issues. It comes with a crevice tool and a telescoping wand so that you can vacuum those hard to reach areas in your home as well. In addition, this vacuum is designed with a pet attachment that is actually a small brush attachment that can pull pet hair right off of your carpet.
This vacuum is designed with a HEPA filtrations system, which means that it is great for eliminating pet dander and other allergens that may be in your home. This vacuum also required bags, and the Arm and Hammer bags that are designed to fit in the canister are perfect for eliminating pet odors and refreshing the air that you breathe.
- The lightweight design of the vacuum along with the handle makes it easy to carry from one room to the next.
- This vacuum works great on carpeted floors as well as hardwood or bare ones.
- The cord for this vacuum does not have a retractable design, so it can easily get in the way.
The next pet vacuum on our list, which is another upright model from Bissell, is designed specifically for cleaning up pet hair and messes that your pet may make. It is designed with a pet hair lifter that will dig into the fibers of your carpet to grab any loose hair and lift it into the vacuum using the rotating brush. It is also able to clean bare floors, upholstery, and furniture without any issues.
The unit has a crevice tool and an upholstery brush that are designed to reach into those difficult to reach spaces and get them clean. It also comes with a Pet Turbo Eraser, which is a tool that is designed to suck up any pet hair that you need to clean with ease. In fact, these tools can also connect to the five-foot hose so that you can reach an area that is even further away from the base of the vacuum.
- This vacuum is easy to assemble; in fact, all you have to do is attach the handle.
- The lightweight design of the vacuum makes it easy to clean the stairs when you need.
- The suction that this vacuum provides is great, especially if you have more than one pet.
- This vacuum cleaner is very loud, so it may not work for a home with a small child.
- If you do not clean out the brush frequently, it tends to get clogged from time to time.
The Shark Cordless Pet Perfect II is the first hand vacuum that we are going to look at. It has a sleek design that is pleasing to look at, and it has a lightweight design that is easy to carry up the stairs or to your car to clean the carpet. The cyclonic technology provides this vacuum with such great suction, that you can easily clean any carpeted area or bare floor without going over the same spot more than once.
The head of this vacuum is designed with a brush roller that can pick up nearly any dirt and debris, but it is a specially designed motorized pet brush that can easily remove pet hair from your surfaces. It also comes with a crevice tool and a dusting brush that you can use when you need to get into tighter corners.
- The charging stand that is designed for this vacuum can be mounted on the wall to give it a permanent home.
- This handheld vacuum is easy to empty, and it’s actually quite a large dust cup for this size vacuum.
- The battery on this vacuum lasts for quite a while, and when it runs out, it charges quickly.
- The filter gets clogged pretty quickly, so you will have to clean it quite often.
- The bristles on the brush attachment seem a little short, making it difficult to clean on some flooring.
If you are looking for the best vacuum for dog hair, then the Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away Vacuum is a great option for you to consider. It is an upright model that is designed with a powered lift-away mode that can extend the suction past the ends of the vacuum so that you can easily pick up embedded pet hair. This is a great feature to have when you have a dog that sheds a lot.
There is also a motorized brush attachment that is designed to remove pet dander and other allergens from your carpet and furniture with ease. Combines with the HEPA filtration system, dust and allergens should not be an issue. The canister is designed to detach from the vacuum so that you can reach higher surfaces and vacuum the stairs without struggling.
- The swivel steering makes it easy to use, and there are even LED lights on the vacuum itself.
- The vacuum can be controlled by buttons on the handle, which makes it easy to swap modes while cleaning.
- Canister mode is a unique addition that may be convenient for some to use, especially in a larger home.
- This is quite a heavy vacuum, which means that it may not work well for some individuals.
- The release for the dirt cup is on top of the canister, so emptying it can cause a mess.
The best vacuum for pet hair on carpet is the Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Pet Vacuum. This is not the lightest vacuum; in fact, it weighs about 23 pounds, but it is manageable by most because it does not take a lot of effort to vacuum with it. The handle is even designed to fold down when it is not in use so that you can easily store it I a closet out of the way.
The main reason that this is a great vacuum for carpet is that it can be adjusted to five different levels that make it easy to clean any type of surface. This means that you can easily switch from vacuuming a plush carpet to cleaning a hardwood floor without switching vacuums or taking a lot of time to go over the carpet again and again.
This vacuum comes with two different tools that make this vacuum great for cleaning up pet hair; there is one that is designed for the floor and another that is meant to help you clean your furniture.
- The power cord is 25 feet, and it can easily be retracted to a shorter length.
- The fact that you can adjust the height of the vacuum makes it a very versatile option to consider.
- The hose that you use for the attachments on this vacuum is a little short.
The Shark Rocket is a great vacuum that is designed for pet owners who need a bit of deep cleaning power to get all of the pet hair out of the carpet fibers, furniture, and other hard to reach areas. In fact, there is a foot pedal on the vacuum that is designed to release part of the vacuum so that you can reach curtains and stairs that need to be cleaned.
There are two speeds that you can utilize in this vacuum, which allows you to easily switch from cleaning bare floors to thick carpets. There is an attachment that you can place on the vacuum that is designed to suck up the dust and debris on hardwood floors that is difficult to clean. There are also LED lights on the front of the vacuum that illuminate to help you see areas that you may not have been thoroughly cleaned in the past.
Since this vacuum is designed to have a good bit of suction, the dust cup was also designed to be large so that it can accommodate more debris before it needs to be emptied.
- There is a stopper on the roller brush that prevents large objects from being sucked into the vacuum.
- This is a very lightweight vacuum that is easy to lift and maneuver in any home.
- The air vent is on the back of the vacuum, which can be quite annoying as you vacuum your home.
- This vacuum does not stand in an upright position without some type of assistance.
The Bissell 1650A Pet Hair Eraser is the best upright vacuum for pet hair because it has a lot of features that are designed to help you clean your home and get the pet hair out of your carpets with ease. First, the unit has a suction that is designed to bring in dirt and debris across the entire width of the vacuum. This powerful path of suction can clean up pet hair on any surface, including your furniture.
The vacuum is designed with a swivel head that makes it possible to maneuver around the legs of your furniture without issue. It also comes with a pet brush to get the pet hair and dander off of your furniture as well as a Pet TurboEraser Tool that is ideal for stairs with carpet. The crevice tool has an LED light attached to it as well, so when you clean between the couch cushions, you can see if there is money there before vacuuming it up.
The dirt bin has a hair management system that will spool any pet hair that it picks up together into one hairball that is easy to empty. This vacuum also has a built-in pet odor eliminator that is designed to freshen the air.
- The swivel design of this vacuum makes it easy to use on carpeted floors and in tight spaces.
- The dirt cup can easily be emptied without using your hands, which eliminates the mess.
- This is a bulky vacuum that may be hard to carry up a flight of stairs.
The Bissell CleanView Complete is often called the best bagless vacuum for pet hair, and with good reason. Starting with the suction, this upright vacuum has a brush roll design that has two different types of bristles that will pick up large and small debris with ease as well as pet hair. This vacuum even has a multi-cyclonic system that is designed to deep clean the carpets and get all of the embedded pet hair out with ease.
Insofar as filtration, this Bissell vacuum has a multi-level system that will greatly reduce the pet dander and the allergens that are in the air. There is also a pet tool that is designed to clean carpeted areas and furniture as well as a tool that is designed specifically for reaching into those hard to reach corners.
- The cord is a 27 feet long, which means that you should have plenty of leeway when you’re vacuuming.
- There is an indicator on the vacuum that lets you know when the suction is not functioning properly.
- The triple action brush roll is very effective at picking up dirt and pet hair from different types of surfaces.
- The vacuum has a large footprint that makes it difficult to clean smaller spaces without moving furniture.
- The dustbin is a little bit on the smaller side, so it may need to be emptied frequently.
What are the best brands of vacuums for pet hair?
Not all vacuum brands are designed to pick up pet hair adequately, but there are quite a few brands that you will want to consider when you are looking for a new vacuum. Here are a few of the top choices:
- Black and Decker
Which attachments could be useful for pet hair?
You are going to want a number of tools and accessories for your vacuum to be able to pick up all of the hair that your pet has shed. A crevice tool is ideal for getting into the couch cushions and tight corners that are difficult to reach. A brush roll or a power brush is going to be great for deep cleaning your carpet, and a dusting tool can help with the dander that has settled as well.
Is a HEPA filter necessary?
When you have a pet that sheds a lot, there are often allergens that end up being in the air that you breathe. That being said, a HEPA filter is not a necessity, but if you are allergic or sensitive to pet dander, then you may want to consider one for your vacuum. This type of filter is designed to capture 99.97 percent of the allergens in the air.
What other types of filtration system works well for pet hair and dander?
If you are not able to get a vacuum that has a HEPA filtration system, then you should consider a charcoal filtration system. Carbon filters are best for removing smoke that may be in the air, but they can also limit the allergens and the dust that you are breathing in as well.
Are there pet grooming vacuum for cats?
Yes! There are smaller grooming tools that are designed for cats and small dogs, but since most vacuums tend to frighten pets, you may have a difficult time using the tool until your cat gets used to the vacuum that you are using.
Are there quiet vacuums that will not frighten my pet?
All vacuum cleaners make noise, though there are higher end models that have a motor that is a little more on the quiet side. If your pet is frightened by the vacuum, you can either put them in another area of the house when you are vacuuming or help them become acquainted with the vacuum over time.
Do vacuums work on hardwood floors?
Yes, all vacuums work on hardwood floors, but if you are looking for the most effective type, then a canister vacuum is going to get your hardwood and any other bare floors the cleanest when it comes to messes that your pet makes.
Which type of vacuum is best for carpet?
Upright vacuums are designed to be used with carpet. The height of them can be adjusted to accommodate different types of carpet, and they can even work on bare floors. The attachments that come with most upright vacuums make it easy to get into the fibers of the carpet and remove any pet hair and debris.
Can a vacuum help eliminate pet odors?
The bags and filtration systems that are inside of your vacuum are designed to help keep the pet odors to a minimum, but that does not always work because some vacuums allow the odors to escape when you are not using it. To help prevent pet odors, you can sprinkle a carpet freshener over your carpeting before you vacuum, and always empty the device after you are done the cleaning.
Do pet vacuums have more suction than standard vacuums?
Yes, pet vacuums tend to have more suction than traditional vacuums because they are designed to be able to get the hair out of the fibers of your carpet and the crevices of your furniture easily. They even have customized heads to make them more efficient.
Are handheld vacuums worth considering?
Yes, you are not always going to need to vacuum your entire home, so if you notice some pet hair on the stairs or the couch, you can quickly vacuum it up.
How often should you vacuum your home?
The frequency that you vacuum your home will depend on the number of pets that you have and how much they are shedding. Typically, you should vacuum your home every few days, but when your pet is not shedding much, you may be able to get away with waiting an entire week. On the other hand, there may be times when you need to vacuum on a daily basis to keep the pet hair to a minimum.
Are corded or cordless models best?
That is going to depend on the amount of maneuverability that you need. Cordless models allow you to vacuum your entire home without worrying about switching outlets, but corded variations tend to have a bit more suction.
What should you do if your vacuum becomes clogged with pet hair?
If your vacuum becomes clogged, it is best to empty it and check the filters and the airflow to ensure that all of the obstructions have been cleared from the vacuum. In models that have rotating brushes, sometimes pet fur can get tangled in the brush, which stops the vacuum from working properly.
Do you need to go over an area more than once to pick up pet hair?
Bare floors and thin carpeting may only need one go over, but thick carpet will need a bit more attention. Also, any area that you pet favors may need a little bit of extra care as well.
Is cat hair or dog hair more difficult to pick up with a vacuum?
Both can be difficult, but regardless of whether you have a dog or a cat, longer pet hair is going to be more difficult to pick up than short hair.
With a pet, how often should you clean the vacuum filter?
Filters tend to get dirty frequently, so instead of blocking the airflow of your vacuum, you can easily clean it. This does not need to be done every time that you vacuum, but it should be done at least once every two to four weeks.
How often will you need to change the filter completely?
The filter in your vacuum should be changed at least once a year. If you have allergies, you may want to change the filter more frequently so that the dust does not irritate your respiratory system. Them Vacuums has an article with some tips that can help you decide whether you need to replace your vacuum filter or not as well as a video to guide you through the process.
Are robot vacuums an option for pet hair?
Yes, there are robot vacuums that are designed for pet hair. They are not always the best option because they cannot vacuum the pet hair that accumulates on your furniture or in the corners of your home easily.
Do you need a larger capacity vacuum for pet hair?
The larger the dirt capacity is in a pet vacuum, the better it is going to be for your home. When you have a vacuum with a small dirt canister, you are going to feel like you are emptying the canister constantly with a few pets.
With multiple pets, will you need to vacuum more often?
Yes, you will need to vacuum more frequently with more pets in your home. This is simply because more pets mean more hair, so unless you have a pet that does not shed often, then you will need to vacuum more often.
What can you do to prevent pet hair from being embedded in the carpet?
Pet hair becomes embedded in the carpet because you are walking on it, so to stop it from becoming embedded in the first place, you can simply vacuum more often. In addition, you can also give your pets a bath and brush them as well to help remove some of the pet hair before it hits your carpet.
Why does the weight of a vacuum matter?
If you have a heavy vacuum, you are not going to be able to take it upstairs and maneuver it easily. That being said, a light vacuum can also be an option when you need to clean your car easily as well, which opens up the window for taking your dog for rides in the car without worrying about them shedding everywhere.
What should you do if your vacuum loses suction?
In most cases, your vacuum will lose suction when the filtration system is dirty or clogged. You can clean the filter to see if the suction improves, but if it remains the same, you may wish to replace it completely.
Is it a good idea to get a vacuum with a rotating brush?
That depends on the type of flooring that you have in your home. A rotating brush is a great option for carpeting, but it could damage the surface of any hardwood or tile flooring.
Are pet vacuums designed to suck up litter?
Vacuums are designed to pick up any small debris that may be located on your floor, and litter would fall into that category. You are not going to want to vacuum a lot of litter, but cleaning up what your cat has tracked from the litter box is not going to damage your vacuum.
Can a pet vacuum remove pet hair from furniture?
Often, pets like to lie on our furniture beside us, which means that your couches and chairs may have pet fur on them from time to time. You can use an upholstery brush and a crevice tool to remove the hair, and sometimes there are even tools that are specifically designed to remove pet hair.
Wrapping It Up
Whether you are looking for a pet grooming vacuum with a lot of accessories or a simple vacuum to clean the pet hair from your carpet, there are plenty of options available that you can consider. Take a look at our buyer’s guide and the products that we’ve featured here to help you find a vacuum that will keep your home free of pet hair and dander.
- Best Vacuums for Pet Hair
- 1) Shark Navigator Freestyle Cordless Stick Vacuum – Best Vacuum for Pet Hair
- 2) Bissell PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded Vacuum
- 3) Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum with Pet Attachments
- 4) Bissell Pet Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 5) Shark Cordless Pet Perfect II Hand Vacuum
- 6) Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright Vacuum
- 7) Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Pet Vacuum
- 8) Shark Rocket TruePet Ultra-Light Upright Corded Vacuum
- 9) Bissell 1650A Pet Hair Eraser Vacuum
- 10) Bissell CleanView Complete Pet Rewind Bagless Upright Vacuum
- What are the different types of vacuums for pet hair that you can purchase?
- What are the best brands of vacuums for pet hair?
- Which attachments could be useful for pet hair?
- Is a HEPA filter necessary?
- What other types of filtration system works well for pet hair and dander?
- What is a dog grooming vacuum system?
- Are there pet grooming vacuum for cats?
- Are there quiet vacuums that will not frighten my pet?
- Do vacuums work on hardwood floors?
- Which type of vacuum is best for carpet?
- Can a vacuum help eliminate pet odors?
- Do pet vacuums have more suction than standard vacuums?
- Is it better to have a vacuum with a bag or bagless vacuum for pet hair?
- Are handheld vacuums worth considering?
- How often should you vacuum your home?
- Are corded or cordless models best?
- What should you do if your vacuum becomes clogged with pet hair?
- Do you need to go over an area more than once to pick up pet hair?
- Is cat hair or dog hair more difficult to pick up with a vacuum?
- With a pet, how often should you clean the vacuum filter?
- How often will you need to change the filter completely?
- Are robot vacuums an option for pet hair?
- Do you need a larger capacity vacuum for pet hair?
- With multiple pets, will you need to vacuum more often?
- What can you do to prevent pet hair from being embedded in the carpet?
- Why does the weight of a vacuum matter?
- What should you do if your vacuum loses suction?
- Is it a good idea to get a vacuum with a rotating brush?
- Are pet vacuums designed to suck up litter?
- Can a pet vacuum remove pet hair from furniture?
- Wrapping It Up