Looking for the best mini laptop?…
You’ve landed on the right guide!
Due to the huge number of laptops available today, Choosing a “Good” Ultraportable laptop isn’t an easy task.
Each of these beasts are selected by our specialist reviewers…
Best Mini Laptops 2018
|Product Name||Weight||Screen Size||Battery Life|
|2 lbs||10.1 inch||8-10 hrs|
|Chromebook 3||1.6 lbs||11.6 inch||11 hrs|
|Surface Pro 4|
|1.7 lbs||11.3 inch||9 hrs|
|ASUS Transformer||1.7 lbs||10.1 inch||12 hrs|
|Lenovo IdeaPad||1.4 lbs||10.1 inch||10|
|ASUS T100||2.4 lbs||10 inch||11 hrs|
|2.2 lbs||11.6 inch||8-9 hrs.|
|Lenovo S21e||2.8 lbs||11.6 inch||5 hrs.|
|Acer Aspire Switch||2.6 lbs||10 inch||8 hrs.|
|Dell Inspiron 11||3.3 lbs||11.6 inch|
Well, lets jump to our list of top 10 best mini laptops 2018 list.
1. ASUS C100PA – Best Flip 2-in-1 Mini Laptop.
The first product in our guide of the best mini laptops is a competitively-priced Chromebook option by Asus. If you’re specifically looking for a laptop that can execute programs, create Office documents, and has a svelte form factor that’s lightweight and small, then this might be a good option for you.
As a convertible laptop, the Asus C100PA-DB02 is fairly simple. Its screen isn’t fully detachable, but you can fold the keyboard in a wide variety of ways, but you can’t fold it so that it’s flush with the screen.
The body of this Chromebook is relatively strong and has a silver finish that gives it a stylish aesthetic. If you’re looking for a good laptop that can also be nearly forgotten inside your bag or pack, this machine only has a two-pound weight and a ten-inch body.
- Being able to connect this Chromebook to your SmartTV or HDTV adds an extra layer of multimedia viewability to this laptop.
- At just two pounds, this product is very light for students and professionals.
- Its battery life is very impressive; at nine hours, you’ll be able to take it to and from work or class without the need to actually plug it in until you get home.
- There’s lots of connectivity in this Chromebook; it features HDMI, USB, Micro-SD card reader, and an 802.11ac Wi-Fi radio
- Good built quality
- At only 16 GB(for the base version), the storage options are terrible. While eMMC hard drives are technically solid-state, they underperform compared to traditional SATA and modern SSD drives.
- With a 1280 x 800-pixel display, you’ll notice that this product doesn’t have the best available resolution.
2. Samsung Chromebook 3 – Our 2nd Best Small Laptop Option
Our second entry is another Chromebook, this time, from tech giant Samsung. The XE500C13-K02US is another great small laptop for those who aren’t looking to do a lot of demanding work or who need a device to browse from.
The XE500C13-K02US has a traditional laptop’s shaping, so there’ll be no folding it so that it acts more like a tablet. Additionally, this Chromebook doesn’t have a touchscreen for those who love the touch experience.
With that being said, this small laptop does have exceptional run times; you can usually run it in excess of 11 hours, which is perfect for watching media files on long flights or just pulling it up out of your bag when you want to do some impromptu work.
Even though it’s still technically considered a mini, the XE500C13-K02US has a larger size that is still very portable. With a screen that’s 11.6 inches, you should be able to see most images clearly on its 1366 x 768 resolution.
- Features like spill-resistant keys and a good amount of durability make this Samsung Chromebook very road-ready. Finally, a laptop that’s family-friendly.
- This is a very thin laptop. This Chromebook is only 0.7 inches thick, which is perfect for portability.
- It’s also very light; the machine weighs less than three pounds.
- It has an HDMI port so that you can connect quickly to your HDTV for your media files and movies.
- Once again, this product suffers from a dearth of hard drive real estate. While this is an actual solid-state drive, it only holds about 16 GB of file space.
- Its camera is a very low megapixel model.
Summary: The Samsung Chromebook 3 XE500C13-K02US is light on hardware features but makes for a great PC for casual use and college students.
3. Microsoft Surface Pro 4 – Editor’s Pick
No one thought that Microsoft would start creating its own hardware until it surprised the world with the Surface Pro series. This series of laptops seamlessly combines the world of the tablet and the laptop without sacrificing the functionality of the Windows operating system.
Do you have an artistic streak? The latest version of the Surface Pro series comes with a pressure-sensitive stylus that will let you work in artistic programs like ArtRage and Artflow. With this type of productivity in mind, the screen is responsive and has an HD resolution of 1920 x 1080.
In addition to this, the Surface Pro 4 also includes an Intel Skylake i5 processor. This is a relatively powerful processor for such a small machine.
The optional detachable laptop keyboard doubles as a screen protector and is bendable to a degree. The keys have a surprising amount of key action, especially considering that the keyboard itself is almost credit card thin.
If you have to do presentations or would like to view your movies on a larger screen, the Surface Pro has an optional wireless display adapter that can connect to most HDTVs.
- This is the perfect computer for digital art students that need a system that can support a pressure-sensitive stylus.
- It’s very light; at only 1.69 pounds, the Surface Pro 4 is our second-lightest mini laptop.
- It lasts a while on a charge; you should be able to get nine hours of playback and use time.
- Since it runs on Windows 8 and 10, the Surface Pro has a wide variety of software options to install.
- It comes with a 128 GB solid-state drive.
- A built-in ability to run Microsoft Office 365
- The stylus and keyboard/cover aren’t included with the purchase.
- There can be some backlight bleed on the Surface Pro’s screen.
Summary: For art students and professionals who need a little more performance in their mini laptops, the Surface Pro 4 can provide it; just remember, you’re going to have to buy a stylus and screen cover as well.
4. ASUS Transformer Book T100HA-C4-GR
The Transformer line of laptops is known for its ability to quickly and seamlessly transform from a full-powered laptop into a tablet. It manages this transition while also keeping up a healthy level of performance thanks to its robust feature set and 12 hours of battery power.
A lightweight form factor of 2.28 pounds is part of what makes the Transformer a great option for someone who is looking for the best of both worlds. The display is also ten inches, which means that the laptop functionality of this convertible is similar to some of the larger and better tablets on the market today.
Additionally, the processor on the Transformer Book is fairly impressive. While it isn’t as powerful as some of the i5 and i7 Intel models out there, its Cherry Trail architecture provides four cores for good computational ability.
A popular tech for many newer tablets and smartphones is Qualcomm fast charging. This laptop has its own analog to this in its Fast Charge technology that will fill up the laptop’s battery to 80 percent in about two hours, which is very fast for a laptop.
- This laptop has more than enough power to run relatively demanding applications
- Unlike the Surface Pro 4, the keyboard is included with the purchase.
- It has a detachable screen, which has a 1280 x 800 resolution.
- It has an incredibly thin design that is only 0.75 inches thick
- It only has 64 GB of onboard space; with everything like the OS installed, you can only expect about 40 GB for you to work with.
- Despite its 2-in-1 design, you won’t be able to use the keyboard to place this laptop in “tent mode.”
- They keyboard is somewhat small, so you may experience some hand fatigue if you type for extended periods.
Summary: While it’s not perfect, the ASUS Transformer Book T100HA-C4-GR has a lot of inherent charm and an impressive amount of power, especially if you’re not planning on gaming on it too much.
5. Lenovo Ideapad Miix310
Another convertible 2-in-1, this version of the Lenovo Ideapad is a responsive, moderately well-performing mini laptop that has several quality features for computing on the go. According to Lenovo, this version of the Ideapad is “eminently mobile”, so while you won’t be able to do heavy computing on this device, it has enough power to get through light tasks.
At a weight of less than a pound and a half, this laptop is actually lighter than some tablets that are on the market today. This makes this product the lightest of all of the laptops that we’ll be reviewing in this guide.
Despite this lightness, this product does use an Intel Atom processor with quad-core functionality that’s specifically designed for tablets. This in addition to the fact that the Ideapad’s main display is an in-plane switching screen (IPS) provides some great mobile power.
Once you sit down and watch some Netflix on this laptop, you’ll realize one of the Ideapad’s better features; it can last up to ten hours on a single charge while playing back video. This is an impressive feat, especially considering that video playback can drain a battery at a faster rate.
- IPS displays are great for displaying and creating art because of their color depth. As a result, this version of the Ideapad has some incredible colors and sharpness.
- This is a very portable laptop. It has a minute size that makes it lighter and more usable than some tablets.
- It has a micro HDMI connection, which allows you to take your media, games, and apps to a larger HDTV when you want to.
- Since this uses Windows, you can install programs like Office 365 on it for extended productivity.
- The webcams on this laptop are relatively weak. A 5 MP cam on the rear and a 2 MP camera in the front.
- The Ideapad’s screen is plastic.
- It uses a 64 GB eMMC hard drive, which can be slow at times
Summary: While it does not have the fastest processing speed, it is a perfectly viable option for word processing, surfing, and it’s great for portability.
6. ASUS T100 10-Inch Laptop
The Asus Transformer Book T100 was one of the first fully featured convertible laptops when it was first released in 2014. While the branch of computing has grown since its humble beginnings, this laptop still performs excellent and gets the job done with a full version of Windows 10.
Due to the Atom processor in this laptop, you can expect to wring more than ten hours of battery life out of this laptop per charge. As a convertible, the keyboard on this product completely detaches, though its greatest drawbacks are its cramped feeling and its very plastic-feeling keys.
That being said, each key has a reasonable amount of travel on it so that when you type, you get that tactile feedback that writers prefer.
This version of the Transformer laptop has a USB 3.0 port so that you will be able to get fast transfer rates when you need them. Additionally, the T100 also has a micro-HDMI slot so that you can quickly connect the device to your HDTV.
- This laptop is very easy to open up and use quickly when you need it.
- It has an 11-hour battery life. You may even find that you won’t have to charge this laptop more than once every several days.
- Comes with Microsoft Office: Student Edition pre-installed, which is more than enough for the college student in your life.
- It has a quad-core Intel Atom processor that’s surprising powerful for a convertible tablet computer.
- The keyboard is definitely a little cheap feeling. While this may make it lightweight, it may make you feel like you might accidentally break it.
- The rear of the device is a fingerprint magnet; it’s definitely not a computer that you’ll want to show off because of its aesthetics.
- The trackpad is tiny and hard to use accurately.
Summary: While it’s not a show-laptop, the Asus T100 is more than functional enough to replace the laptop that you use around the house, despite being a couple of years old. It’s got exceptional battery life and a somewhat easy-to-use setup.
7. Lenovo IdeaPad 100s – Editor’s Choice.
Another Ideapad model, the 100s is another inexpensive mini laptop that can make quickly browsing from your couch while you watch your shows easy. First, this product uses the Intel Atom Z3735F, which is a processor in the Atom line that helps this laptop stay powered in excess of eight hours.
From a design point of view, this version of the IdeaPad looks very attractive. As a matter of fact, for such an inexpensive model of mini laptop, its overall aesthetic looks very premium; the case is red, which will make this laptop a point of conversation with your friends.
In a portability sense, the 100s is very easy to grab and go. It only weighs 2.2 pounds, is 11.5 x 7.97 in width and depth, and is about .69 inches thick.
Once again, this product uses an eMMC hard drive and only has about 32 GB of space, but Lenovo makes it better somewhat by providing a free terabyte of cloud storage with the purchase of the device.
As a traditional laptop, the keyboard on this product doesn’t do anything special like detach or fold in interesting ways, but the keys do have a good amount of vertical travel and action. The keys also have a scalloped shaping so that you can easily feel them when you are touch typing.
- This laptop has a very reasonable battery life of almost nine hours, which makes it well-suited to long days at work or a day full of lectures.
- Aesthetically, this is the nicest looking mini laptop in our guide, bar none.
- You get a free Office 365 subscription with this laptop and 1 TB of cloud storage.
- While its display isn’t IPS, it does have some great viewing angles.
- The display is slightly reflective, which worsens glare.
- The keyboard is so thin that it has a tendency to flex during use.
- While there are USB 2.0 ports, they missed an opportunity for faster transfer rates by not including 3.0 ports as well.
Summary: This version of the IdeaPad is a stylish laptop that has some storage issues and lacks some useful ports. Nevertheless, this is an inexpensive product that has good battery life for those who want a more performant netbook-style computer.
8. Lenovo S21e 80M4002DUS
If you’re looking for a good entry-level laptop, the Lenovo S21e is a great option for light work, quick browsing, and media playback. Since this is a mini laptop, you’d think that this machine would have an extensive battery life; but unfortunately, you’ll only be able to get about four hours out of this device on a charge.
It’s a very portable computer though; it only weighs 2.75 pounds and has a thickness of just 0.74 inches. With dimensions like that, the S21e will easily be able to fit inside your bag between books or sit unobtrusively on a side table where you can use it for casual browsing/Netflix.
The display on the S21e has a reasonable level of performance, with a resolution of 1366 x 768. This isn’t the most pixels per inch possible, but it’s more than enough to watch HD movies and Youtube videos.
There are several stylish features of the S21e that make it interesting. Firstly, it has a curvy design in the area where the jacks are located. This is actually very attractive and unique-looking.
This area houses a USB 2.0 and a USB 3.0, so you’ll be able to plug in your key drives and your peripherals fairly easily. The touchpad is also very large for a mini laptop, which makes this machine fairly easy to use without a mouse.
- The curvy sides look very attractive; despite its flaws, this computer is aesthetically pleasing.
- It has a wide trackpad, though you won’t be able to use gestures.
- The display has an anti-glare coating, which is useful for a mini laptop of this type.
- This laptop does include a webcam, which is useful for running Skype calls to loved ones and coworkers.
- The processor is fairly underpowered for anything too complex.
- The RAM and the hard drive aren’t upgradeable; you only get 32 GB of space and when all is said and done with the mandatory installs like the OS, you’ll only really have 20 GB to work with.
- It only comes with Windows 8.1, so you’ll have to upgrade once you get it.
Summary: A device that’s primarily designed for quick use, the S21e has an attractive design that sets it apart from other laptops. That being said, it does have a fairly limited CPU and an outdated operating system that you’ll have to replace.
9. Acer Aspire Switch 10 SW5-012-16AA
The penultimate mini laptop in this guide is another convertible device; this time from Acer. As a foldable unit, you’ll have several ways that you can use this laptop, but on top of its foldability, the display can also detach from the keyboard so that you have even more possibilities.
In fact, once it’s detached, you can reattach the display to the keyboard in the opposite direction so that you can use it at different angles. Additionally, this small laptop can even be used in “tent mode,” which is preferred by many users who use these devices for couch internet surfing.
As one of the smaller mini laptops featured here, this Switch 10 has a ten-inch screen and only weighs about 2.6 pounds. The display on this device is also very impressive for its price point; it has a maximum resolution of standard HD – or 1920 x 1080.
One of the most innovative features of this tablet’s design is its magnetized hinges. When it’s detached, the connection points, which are hinged will magnetize to the display when it’s in proximity. This magnetic pull is fairly strong and will keep the two components attached firmly.
- This is a very versatile small laptop, which is a great feature for those looking for a device that can be many different things over the course of a day; from term paper machine to late night browser.
- When in slate mode, it has a very responsive touchscreen display and a shiny gloss to its screen.
- The keyboard and touchpad are on par with many full-fledged laptops.
- It has a very respectable eight-hour battery life.
- While attractive, the glossy screen can pick up glare very easily.
- The top half of the system is clearly much heavier than the keyboard and touchpad, which makes the relatively light machine somewhat top heavy.
Summary: While it’s not the most performant product out there, the Acer Aspire Switch 10 SW5-012-16AA does a few things right, like have a strong battery, having a great keyboard and touchpad setup, and featuring a very attractive design.
10. Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series
Our final product is also our first Dell one. Interestingly enough, this and the Surface Pro are the two highest performance mini laptops in the guide.
First, Dell has provided a large amount of storage space in this small laptop. While it isn’t a solid-state drive, the internal half terabyte drive is relatively responsive, despite its 5400 RPM rotational rate.
This laptop is also convertible. It can be folded in several ways and it also has the capability to be used in “tent mode.” The screen, as you might imagine, is touchscreen and is very responsive, though it does have a weaker resolution of 1366 x 768.
Unfortunately, despite or because of its stronger i3 4030U processor, this is also the laptop that has the least amount of battery life of the products that we’ve reviewed. For the most part, you can expect about four hours of usage time with this laptop when it’s unplugged.
- As one of the best mini laptops for overall performance on this list, you can run more powerful programs on this laptop.
- It has very good MaxxAudio speakers that provide some excellent sound for the price point.
- It has a full half terabyte of space.
- It can be folded down to a tablet-like shape, which is very useful for couch browsing.
- It falters significantly when it comes to battery life.
- Because of its awkward placement, it’s much too easy to press the power button on this convertible.
Summary: This Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series laptop is a relatively high performing device for those looking for a mini laptop. It has a very versatile 2-in-1 functionality, a fairly vivid, if dim, screen, and a wide trackpad for computing on-the-go.
Students, businesspeople, and hardware enthusiasts are all searching for the best smaller laptops for their personal use.
Let’s take a look at some important features.
Click to expand the Menu.
The world of computing has become increasingly mobile. As a result, many people are seeking ultraportable laptops.
The ten products that were reviewed in this guide are some of the best mini laptops available. While each isn’t for every user, they all have the needed functionality for anyone looking to do a little light work or browse around during the day.
We hope that you find a product that fits your needs and your budget. It’ll take a bit of due diligence to find your perfect mini laptop, but in the end, we hope that this guide has made your search much easier.
- Best Mini Laptops 2018
- 1. ASUS C100PA – Best Flip 2-in-1 Mini Laptop.
- 2. Samsung Chromebook 3 – Our 2nd Best Small Laptop Option
- 3. Microsoft Surface Pro 4 – Editor’s Pick
- 4. ASUS Transformer Book T100HA-C4-GR
- 5. Lenovo Ideapad Miix310
- 6. ASUS T100 10-Inch Laptop
- 7. Lenovo IdeaPad 100s – Editor’s Choice.
- 8. Lenovo S21e 80M4002DUS
- 9. Acer Aspire Switch 10 SW5-012-16AA
- 10. Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series
- Let’s take a look at some important features.
- Final Words