Best Electric Lawn Mowers
|Item||Battery Type (if applicable)||Deck Size||Output System|
|EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Lawn Mower |
|56-volt lithium-ion||20 inches||Mulching, bagging, and side discharge|
|BLACK+DECKER CM2040 40V Lithium 3-in-1 Cordless Mower||24-volt battery||20 inches||Bagging|
|Earthwise 60420 20-Inch 40-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Electric Lawn Mower||24-volt battery||20 inches||Mulching, bagging, and side discharge|
|Sun Joe iON16LM 40 V 16-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower||Corded||16 inches||Bagging|
|GreenWorks 16-Inch 10 Amp Corded Lawn Mower||Corded||16 inches||Mulching and rear discharge|
|Sun Joe MJ401E Mow Joe 14-Inch 12 Amp Electric Lawn Mower||Corded||14 inches||Bagging|
|BLACK+DECKER MTE912 6.5-Amp Electric 3-in-1 Trimmer/Edger and Mower||Corded||N/A||None|
1) EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Lawn Mower
The 56-volt battery on this product produces a lot of oomph. In fact, the battery itself has the ability to run for about an hour on a 30-minute charge. With its larger deck, you should be able to cut areas of your lawn about two feet wide. This allows you to really cover a lot of ground in the allotted hour.
- This mower has the ability to really charge fast; you only need about a half an hour to get a full hour of mowing.
- You’ll cover a lot of space thanks to the extra wide deck; in fact, the deck has a 20-inch width.
- At only 62 pounds, it’s relatively easy to carry the mower to and from the spot that you want to work.
- If you work in an area with a varying terrain, you can also purchase the LM210SP, which is the self-propelled version.
- The handle only has two adjustments, which can be problematic for some people.
2) BLACK+DECKER CM2040 40V Lithium 3-in-1 Cordless Mower
This product, which comes from tool giant Black+Decker, is another 20-inch deck mower that has a lot of ability to clear your yard with only moderate effort. Black+Decker utilized a unique technology for this mower that they call AutoSense. This technology actually auto-adjusts the output of the motor based entirely on the type of grass that you’re mowing; if it’s thicker, you’ll have more power, thinner grass gets less.
Like our first product, this mower can manage about 60 minutes of operation on a single charge, but mileage has a tendency to vary based on the grass that you’re mowing. The height of the cutting deck can also be adjusted so that you can vary the performance between less than an inch and a four-inch height. Black+Decker included a 15-gallon nylon grass collection bag with this product, which will get you started.
- This product uses two 40V Max Lithium-ion batteries so that you can experience a longer cutting time.
- There’s a good amount of height adjustment on this product so that you can select the exact thickness of your lawn.
- The AutoSense feature is a really nice, high tech smart feature that will help the mower decide on power levels.
- For two hours worth of charge time, you only get about an hour of cutting time.
- While the company claims that the device provides a full hour on your lawn, the AutoSense can shorten this time somewhat.
3) Earthwise 60420 20-Inch 40-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Electric Lawn Mower
If you need to carry your mower to and from the work area, then it’s always a good idea to shoot for a device that is lightweight. This mower, from Earthwise, easily falls into this category because it only weighs 53 pounds in totality. This electrically powered mower has two lithium-ion batteries for extended life.
Altogether, you can expect almost an hour of work time with this Earthwise mower. This means that you should be able to easily finish mowing a moderate-sized lawn, which is helped by the fact that the deck is 20 inches in width. This wider deck will help you cover a lot of territory in a relatively short window.
Earthwise has also designed this to be a very quiet product; in fact, it’s one of the quietest motors available on an electric mower.
- You can select from seven different cutting heights that range from one and a half to four inches.
- You can select from the style of discharge that you want; the device has settings for rear bag collection or automatic mulching.
- This product has a fairly wide deck that will allow you to mow larger swaths of your property.
- For the full 50 minutes of use time, you have to charge the device for a full two hours.
4) Sun Joe iON16LM 40 V 16-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower
Sun Joe has become known for their ability to make compact products that really can enhance the outdoors work experience. This product, the Sun Joe iON16LM is a mower that is very compact and easy to use; in fact, the mower weighs less than 40 pounds, which means that you can store it up high or heft it to the area of your yard that needs it.
One of the best features of this product is its value; this Sun Joe mower is fairly feature-rich but also has a very affordable price point for those working on a budget. The motor on the iON16LM is brushless, which means that you can expect it to last for years of heavy-duty work. This motor is also designed to have reduced vibration so that the iON16LM has a relatively quiet day-to-day performance.
Since this mower is so light, it’s very easy to push it where it needs to go. This is a good feature, especially considering that Sun Joe doesn’t currently offer a self-propelled model.
- If you need a compact and lightweight mower, the iON16LM may be a great model for you to use.
- The battery only takes about a half an hour to charge to maximum capacity.
- You’ll experience less vibration with this product than many competing electric mowers.
- At only 16 inches, the deck is somewhat small on the iON16LM, so your mowing may take more time.
- Even though it takes only 30 minutes per full charge, this mower only provides about 40 minutes of cutting time.
5) GreenWorks 16-Inch 10 Amp Corded Lawn Mower
Another mower with a deck of 16 inches, this product from GreenWorks is a more than adequate option for people with smaller lawns. The motor under the hood is a powerful 10-amp model that grants a lot of cutting power during your yard work. This is one easy to maneuver and compact mower; it even has seven-inch rear wheels that allow the mower to better manage uneven terrain and to get around obstacles in your yard.
It’s important to understand that this is a corded mower, so you’ll definitely have to make sure that there is a power supply nearby or an extension cord. While many users might be dismayed by the fact that this product is so small and lightweight, those same users will also be surprised at how powerful and easy to use this product is. It cuts the thickest grass and can also maneuver like a real champ.
- This is truly an ideal mower for lawns that are on the smaller side; if you have a quarter to a half-acre of grass, this is a great option.
- With its 16-inch deck, this product from GearWorks has a great overall cutting performance.
- The suction of the device is very high; once the grass is cut, the material is sucked directly into the clip bag.
- If you don’t give this mower an occasional mowing break, it has a tendency to overheat.
6) Sun Joe MJ401E Mow Joe 14-Inch 12 Amp Electric Lawn Mower
If you’re looking to not take up a lot of space inside your shed, this electric mower, which is another compact Sun Joe product, may be what you’re looking for. We’ve already covered some lightweight mowers in this guide, but this one has them all beat; the MJ401E weighs only 28 pounds, which means that you can store it up high and carry it to wherever you need it to go. This is a squat, easy to maneuver product from Sun Joe that also happens to be very budget-friendly.
When it comes to day-to-day functionality, the product has a fully adjustable height that grants you three different settings. These settings range from less than an inch to 2/25 inches so that you can cut your grass to a very manicured height. Under the hood is a 12 amp electric motor that provides some good cutting power for most small lawns.
- When it comes to assembly, this product only takes about 10 minutes to fully get ready for mowing.
- For such a small-area mower, its 14-inch deck really provides a good level of cutting space.
- The entire mower only weighs 28 pounds, so it’ll be easy to transport this mower and store it away on a shelf in your shed.
- While it has some power, thicker grass will definitely cause this compact little mower some problems.
- There’s too much plastic on the product, especially at the wheel level, so it feels a little bit flimsy.
7) BLACK+DECKER MTE912 6.5-Amp Electric 3-in-1 Trimmer/Edger and Mower
This device varies significantly from the other products that we’ve reviewed thus far. First, while it is an electric mower, it has other functions as well. This product has a single pole attachment for control, but when you’re done mowing your lawn, the motor portion of the device and the attached pole can be detached from the wheel assembly, which transforms the product into a trimmer/edger.
This convertible operation makes this a very convenient to use product because you can take care of a few landscaping needs on your property. The wheel assembly is also very lightweight so that maneuvering the product over different terrains and landscape features of your lawn will be a simple procedure.
When it’s time to charge, this product comes with two electric batteries that’ll provide about 20 minutes of operation a piece. Also, since this product is very compact, you can get it into spaces that you wouldn’t be able to with a larger mower.
- The whole device only weighs 13 pounds. This is due to the fact that it also doubles as a trimmer.
- This Black+Decker product is very versatile and easy to use; it tackles any terrain and has a multi-use design.
- Black+Decker inched an auto-feed system for this product that automatically advances the line without bumping.
- There isn’t a bag to collect the cut grass, so you’ll have to deal with the cut grass lying on top of your lawn.
- There is some corded functionality for longer use, but you’ll have to purchase this separately from Black+Decker.
8) WORX 14-Inch 24-Volt Cordless Lawn Mower
Sometimes, compact mowers aren’t enough. Sometimes, you need a workhorse mower like the Worx that can deliver a good amount of cutting power to the grass on your property. While this product doesn’t quite have the power output of a traditional gas-powered mower, it does have more than enough oomph to mow up to 6,000 square feet on a charge.
While this product only has a 14-inch deck, it uses an IntelliCut system to help you manage the power output so that you can have a maximized mowing experience.
This device runs on a 24-volt battery that provides about an hour of mowing power. If you’re going to be mulching with this product using its “power mode,” then you can expect about a half hour of usage on a charge.
- This mower has a three-in-one functionality; you can bag, rear-discharge, and mulch with it.
- Worx has opted to include a removable battery with this product; this means that you can extend the life of the mower by packing extra batteries.
- It’s easy to track the battery level by looking at the indicator that’s positioned on the body of the mower.
- The IntelliCut setting is pretty hi-tech, but it really doesn’t do a great job managing the power output needed for taller grasses.
- While this product has some excellent overall power, it’s really not suited for properties over 10,000 square feet.
9) Black+Decker MM2000 13-Amp Corded Mower
Our final Black+Decker product is a corded mower that provides a good amount of power and excellent maneuverability so that you can tackle any type of terrain on your property. To really help you get from place to place, the MM2000 has a larger set of rear wheels, which gives you extra handling so that hills, loose material, and wet grass won’t be an issue.
This mower has a 20-inch deck, so it’ll be easy to clear swaths of almost two feet without a lot of effort. This is a pretty heavy-duty mower, so as a result, it’s not the lightest. In totality, this Black+Decker mower weighs about 53 pounds.
The 13-amp motor on this mower has some excellent cutting ability; you should be able to simply chew through most grasses on your property. Not only does this product side-discharge, but it mulches and bags any clippings that result.
- This product has a fairly powerful electric motor that really does a great job cutting just about any length or thickness of grass.
- The motor doesn’t put out a lot of noise, which makes this a good mower to use when you don’t want to disturb anyone.
- The product has a seven-setting height adjustment that lets you vary the height from one and a half inches to four inches in height.
- Usually, corded mowers come complete with an extension cord, but for whatever reason, Black+Decker opted not to include one with this product.
- To save on weight, the manufacturer crafted many of the components out of plastic, which can make the mower seem flimsy.
10) GreenWorks 21-Inch 40V Cordless Brushless Lawn Mower
Our final product comes from GreenWorks and is one electric mower that simply looks like it packs in a lot of power. Fortunately, looks aren’t deceiving in this case; this is definitely an electric mower that can power through most lawns. The design of this brushless mower may remind you of a classic hot rod; its wheels are thick and ridged and the motor just from the front of the mower.
Performance-wise, this mower is able to handle large areas of lawn very quickly thanks to the large 21-inch deck. With this GreenWorks mower, you’ll also have an option to mulch, bag, or side discharge the clippings. When more power is required for a cut, the Smart Cut technology from GreenWorks will speed up the blade so that even thicker grass will be easily managed.
This is a dual-battery mower that uses two 40-volt lithium-ion batteries that will provide about 70 minutes of runtime. With such a large runtime, you should be able to mow even larger yards without worrying about running out of juice.
- The wheels on this mower are specifically designed to tackle various terrains, which makes this a very versatile mower.
- With a 21-inch deck, this mower really can handle a large swath of grass in fairly short order.
- GreenWorks included a brushless motor in the design of this mower, which means that it will last for a longer period of time.
- For whatever reason, the batteries can sometimes report that they are fully charged when they’re not.
Best Electric Lawn Mower Buyer’s Guide
Why select an electric lawn mower over a gas-powered one?
Gas-powered mowers have been dominant for decades, but they are far from optimal. These mowers spew out harmful greenhouse gases, are loud, can be hard to maintain, and are typically heavy. While they have great power for trimming and cutting, more options are popping up.
Electric mowers are much quieter, are environmentally-friendly, and are easy to use. Nowadays, even the price has come down, so purchasing one of these mowers has become a major temptation for many homeowners. Also, you may save money with an electric lawn mower; check out this graph for more info.
In what ways will a gas-powered mower outperform an electric one?
Gas lawn mowers have a much higher power output than electric mowers. This means that they tend to cut grass at a quicker rate than those that are powered electrically. Additionally, you won’t have to charge a gas-powered mower or plug it in and be tethered to a wire.
Which is better for a very large yard?
Well, gas-powered models have traditionally been cited as being best for larger areas, but with electric models on the market that can run for 70 minutes on a charge, the distinction isn’t quite as cut-and-dry as it used to be. For the most part, this is up to your personal preference, but you may have to purchase a more expensive electric mower and purchase additional batteries if you have a lot of acreages to cover.
How do you start an electric mower?
With a gas-powered model, you’ll usually have to pull a string or cord. Fortunately, with electric models, you’ll usually only have to flip a switch or press a starter button. This means that electric mowers are usually very convenient and easy to start.
Do electric mowers sometimes come with bags for clipping storage?
Many models of electric lawn mowers come with a bag that can hold at least 15 gallons of clippings and dead leaves. These make the process fairly simplified, but there are other methods out there to deal with the clippings that result from a daily mowing.
Is there any tech out there that can help manage different types of grass?
Fortunately, just about every major brand of electric lawn mower has its own grass-management system. These systems add a “smart” component to the device that analyzes the type of grass that is being cut. If the grass is thicker, the mower will add more power or speed up the blades. If it’s thinner, it’ll do the opposite.
The chief issue with these systems is that, in some cases, switching to a higher power level can drain the battery faster.
What kind of battery system is typical for an electric motor?
In most cases, manufacturers use lithium-ion battery systems for their battery packs. These battery packs have different voltages that decide how long the machine will be able to be used on a single charge.
How should the wheels be situated?
While even, front and back wheels are useful, it can be good for your electric lawn mower to have larger back wheels than front ones. This way, you’ll experience better handling over objects in your lawn; you’ll even have an easier time navigating over hills and bumps.
Do these require assembly?
As a general rule, you will definitely have to execute some assembly with an electric lawn mower, but fortunately, some models will only take you about 10 minutes to a half an hour to fully assemble.
How long will it take to assemble an electric mower?
As with anything, the overall assembly time for the device will vary based on your technical expertise and the specifications of the mower. It’s a good idea to set aside at least an hour’s worth of time before you start the assembly process.
What are the systems that a lawn mower uses to get rid of clippings?
As with standard lawn mowers, electric mowers will typically have a three-in-one system for managing the clippings that you generate when you’re mowing:
- Mulching: the first option allows for you to mulch the clippings, which will grind the clippings up into a fine powdery substance that can actually revitalize the remaining uncut grass.
- Rear or Side Discharge: This simply sends the cut clippings out of the rear or out of the side of the lawnmower.
- Bagging: Some mowers have a system that simply sends the clippings into a bag that’s 15 gallons or so.
What can you expect to spend on one of these products?
While it’s possible to find a product in the sub-$100 range, it’s much more realistic to spend over $150 for a good electric lawn mower. In fact, if you’re looking for the best electric cordless lawn mower, you can easily spend well over $300 for a more premium model. Fortunately, these devices have a tendency to pay for themselves over time, so it’s well worth the expenditure.
Does deck size matter?
The deck size of your electric lawn mower directly correlates with the size of the swath that you cut in your lawn. This is why it’s useful to get a lawnmower with a deck of at least 20 inches when you’ve got a larger sized lawn because you’ll be done much quicker than you would be if you were working with one that was more compact.
How long can you mow on a single charge?
This will depend on the product. Some electric lawn mowers have an operation that will power the mower for more than an hour on a single charge. On the other hand, there are products out there that will only provide about 40 minutes of battery life after a full charge. Typically, it’s best not to go below this duration unless you have a very small area to mow.
How long does it take to charge an electric mower?
As with the previous question, the charge times on a mower can vary based on the device; some products take up to two hours to charge the battery for an hour. Conversely, there are also models out there that only need about 30 minutes to charge a battery for the same duration. Typically, this comes down to the battery type and how many batteries the product uses.
Will you need an extension cord for a corded model?
While some products have longer cords, it’s always a good idea to use an extension cord when you’re mowing with a corded unit. That being said, it’s absolutely crucial that you always know precisely where the cord is because you don’t want to accidentally run over it with the lawnmower. This can easily lead to injury.
While some don’t like being tethered, corded models are nice in-between lawn mowers. These lawnmowers won’t limit you to a single charge, so you can mow your lawn until it’s done without worrying about losing power.
What does it take to maintain an electric lawnmower?
One of the chief advantages of this type of lawnmower is that you won’t have to replace a sparkplug, refill the gasoline or oil, and you won’t have to change out any filters. That being said, every year, you should execute these maintenance best practices:
- Clean the blade: Do this by removing it from the body of the mower. Simply use a wire brush to clean off any extra material on the blade’s body.
- Sharpen the blade: You can have this done at some hardware stores, but you can also use a grinder to ensure that the blade is nice and sharp.
- Clean away any buildup: Over the year, buildup can accrue along the base of the mower; you can use a scraper to ensure that the device will mulch properly.
If you want to see a video version of these tips, check out this Youtube video.
How does maneuverability come into play?
When you’re working on a plot of land that has a lot of interesting topography, then you want an electric lawn mower that can maneuver through the different areas of your lawn. Usually, more compact lawn mowers that are also lightweight are the most maneuverable, so if this sounds like your land, consider compactness first.
Should you get a self-propelled unit?
Some products, like the first one we reviewed, have a self-propelled option. These electric lawn mowers utilize their motors to propel themselves forward, which can make it easier for you to go up hills, navigate obstacles, and will be very helpful for people that are older or disabled. Keep in mind that self-propelled devices have a tendency to be much heavier and expensive than standard models, but they can definitely be very useful for certain people.
For the most part, lighter is better for maneuverability and storage, and the ideal weight will depend on the size of the product. For a larger unit that has a deck that’s more than 20 inches in length, you should try and find a mower that weighs less than 50 pounds. For a compact unit, you should shoot for a product that’s around the 30 to 40-pound range.
What’s the difference between a standard and a brushless mower?
As a rule, brushless motors are about 85 to 90 percent more efficient than brushed motors. As a result, the brushless types have a tendency to last much longer than standard motors.
Are electric mowers better for the environment?
When comparing the carbon footprint of electric lawn mowers and gas-powered lawn mowers, there is a sizeable advantage to using the electrically-powered units. Simply put, there are far fewer emissions with these types, which is why companies like EarthWise and GreenWorks produce these types of products.
Can you have multiple batteries for one mower?
Some products, like the EarthWise 60420, utilize more than one battery – typically a 4aH and a 2aH combination so that the product can have a longer battery life. This type of orientation is there to help fight the perception that cordless lawn mowers lack the charge to compare to gas-powered models.
Should you mulch or collect your clippings in a bag?
This is up to you. Mulching and ejecting the clippings has a lot of advantages because the cut and mulched clippings provide a lot of nutritional value for the remainder of your grass. These clippings decompose and fertilize the land for a more healthy lawn. On the other hand, collecting the clippings in a bag can keep your lawn looking nicer and neater, and you can also simply fertilize your lawn for a similar effect to mulching – the choice is yours.
Should you go with a compact or full-sized electric mower?
If you have a smaller lawn or a lawn that is larger but has more than a few hard to get into areas, then a more compact model will provide an easier experience. On the other hand, if you have a larger lawn with more wide open spaces, then consider a product that has larger deck size – you’ll get the job done faster.
Can you mow at night?
With an electric mower, you can definitely mow at night. Some lawn mowers actually include headlights at the front that make late night mowing very simple.
Wrapping It Up
When it’s time to mow the lawn, a good electric mower is a great alternative for anyone that wants to reduce their carbon footprint. The products that we’ve reviewed in this guide are all top-quality products that will help you manage your yard with ease. If you’re not sure which product is for you, review the buyer’s guide FAQ, and you’ll be able to easily find the best electric lawn mower for your needs.
- Best Windshield Wipers & Buyer’s Guide + Reviews
- Best Car Batteries (Reviews & Buyer’s Guide)
- Best car wax (Buyer’s Guide + Reviews)