Purchasing a laptop with all of the specs that you need can be stressful, especially if you have a budget that limits how much you are able to spend.
In this guide, we’re going to take a look at best laptop under 200 dollars so that you can get the best laptops under this price range.
Best Cheap Laptops Under $200
|Item||Chromebook or Windows-Based||RAM||Battery Life|
|2017 Acer Flagship CB3-532 Premium Chromebook |
|Chromebook||2 GB||Seven Hours
|HP Stream Laptop PC 14-ax020nr |
|Windows||4 GB||Ten Hours
|HP Chromebook 11.6 inch Premium Laptop |
|Chromebook||4 GB||Seven Hours
|Acer Chromebook CB3-131-C3SZ 11.6-Inch Laptop||Chromebook||2 GB||Nine Hours
|HP EliteBook 8460P 14-inch Notebook||Windows||4 GB||Three Hours
|HP AMD E2-7110 14-inch Laptop||Windows||4 GB||Five Hours
|Lenovo 110s Premium Built High Performance 11.6 inch HD Laptop||Windows||2 GB||Six Hours
- A Complete Guide on the Top-Rated Laptops Under 500 dollars
- Buyer’s Guide & Reviews of the Top-Rated Laptops Under 300 dollars
- The Ultimate Guide to the Best Small Laptops
- The Best Guide to the Top Rated Office Chairs
1. 2017 Acer Flagship CB3-532 Premium Chromebook
Our first product comes to us from computer manufacturer Acer. This Chromebook has a lot going for it; not only does it have an anti-glare monitor that can make it very usable in outdoor environments, but it also has a good amount of backlighting so that you can use it very comfortably in low light. The display tech uses WLED technology which provides some top-notch resolution so that you can easily read your work.
Insofar as hardware, this Chromebook packs in an Intel Celeron processor that provides dual-core processing. This processor will help you run multiple software applications with ease. This Acer Chromebook also comes with 2 GB of DDR3 RAM for streamlined access times. While the hard drive has a meager 16 GB SSD, you can easily supplement this storage with external hard drives and key drives.
For those that like to view their media content on the big screen, this product also includes an HDMI connection. With it, you can connect this Chromebook to a larger HDTV or monitor and watch content directly from the device.
- This Chromebook has two USB 3.0 connectors so that you can get fast transfer rates on your key drive content.
- On a full battery, you can expect about seven hours of life on this Chromebook.
- This is an all-situation viewing laptop; with its anti-glare screen and excellent backlighting, you’ll be able to see the screen in any situation.
- The 16 GB SSD doesn’t provide much in the way of storage – you’ll definitely need to supplement that internal storage.
- Features like the HD webcam can really drain the battery on this product.
2. HP Stream Laptop PC 14-ax020nr
If you like colorful devices, this HP Stream laptop has a choice of violet or blue so that you can bring a little bit of pizzazz into your day. Unlike our first product, this isn’t a Chromebook; in fact, it’s a fully-featured Windows 10 machine that provides access to features like Cortana and Live Updates.
This laptop’s screen is also a WLED display that provides more than enough backlighting for most darkened environments. Additionally, you’ll be able to experience full-HD resolutions with this laptop; its native resolution is 1366 x 768.
For those that will use this as a media device, there are several connection points that will allow you to supplement the 32 GB eMMC SSD that comes with this device. Firstly, there’s a media reader, which will allow you to read SD cards. In addition to this, there are also three USB connectors so that you can attach external hard drives as well as key drives.
Under the hood, this product has a Intel Celeron N3060 processor, 4 GB of RAM, and Intel integrated graphics.
- The 3.5mm jack on the side of this product doubles as both an headphone-out as well as a microphone-in connector.
- Two of the USBs on this laptop are USB 3.1 connectors that will allow you to file transfer at high rates of speed.
- This laptop comes with a 14-inch monitor that uses WLED technology to provide a strong visual experience.
- At only 32 GB of space, operating systems like Windows 10 will really fill up your hard drive.
- This product could definitely use better speakers; they are both faint and a bit tinny when playing music.
3. HP Chromebook 11.6 inch Premium Laptop
Hewlett Packard has been known to produce some amazing computers, and this product, which is a Chromebook, follows this tradition. First, its display is excellent for just about any kind of viewing; it incorporates an anti-glare coating and also has a good amount of backlighting for nighttime usage. The resolution on this monitor is 1366 x 768, which means that you’ll be able to experience HD-quality video on this Chromecast.
This product really shines when it comes to RAM; most Chromebooks around this price point top out around 2 GB, but HP provides double this memory. Insofar as its processor, this Chromebook has a Intel Celeron Core N2840, which provides more than a stable experience for most Chromebook applications.
When it comes to connectivity, this Chromebook has two USB connectors (one 2.0 and the other 3.0), a headphone/microphone jack, and an HDMI connector for those that want to broadcast their content to a larger screen. When you’re looking to chat, this product also includes a HD webcam.
- The 4 GB of onboard RAM is very useful for keeping programs running in the background within the cache.
- This product has a Bluetooth 4.0 radio that will allow you to pair with devices up to 10 meters away.
- The processor on this Chromebook is fairly responsive and fast for when you need a little extra power.
- This Chromebook only comes with 16 GB of internal space, so you’ll definitely need some external space options.
- Despite the fact that it has a USB 3.1 connector, having only two USBs can be somewhat limiting.
4. Acer Chromebook CB3-131-C3SZ 11.6-Inch Laptop
Another great Acer Chromebook, the CB3-131-C3SZ is a product that’s more than adequate for light computing. Its screen is actually an IPS display, which means colors are vivid and well-defined, the viewing angles are much better than standard TN monitors, and you’ll experience better than average backlighting. This screen is also 11.6 inches and has a HD level of detail, which means that this is a great machine to watch Netflix on.
Internally, this Chromebook has 2 GB of onboard memory, 16 GB of internal SSD storage, and is powered by an Intel Celeron N2840 that has dual-core functionality. The audio of this Chromebook is where it shines; typically, you can expect a laptop at this price point to have middling audio at best. This product, on the other hand, actually has stereo speakers, which really provide an excellent audio experience when you’re using this Chromebook as a media center.
The CB3-131-C3SZ also has more than decent battery life; in fact, you can expect about nine hours of usage out of this laptop. It also has two USBs, a HDMI connector, and also includes an HD webcam that you can use for video programs like Skype.
- The audio experience on this Chromebook is one of its greatest features; it has two stereo speakers that sound great.
- The display uses IPS technology so that you can watch video from just about any viewing angle.
- With its three-cell Li-ion 3220 mAh battery, you can expect about nine hours of usage of use.
- This Chromebook doesn’t have much room for a lot of applications with its 16 GB storage.
5. HP EliteBook 8460P 14-inch Notebook
Sometimes, when you want a budget-friendly laptop PC, you can also select a laptop that’s from an earlier hardware generation. These laptops often stand the test of time and can be more powerful than modern laptops, especially with cheaper options like Chromebooks. This particular laptop is from the Windows 7 era of computing, but it has an excellent display that provides HD resolutions and also uses anti-glare coating for viewability.
Hardware-wise, this product uses a SATA hard drive that provides 250 GB of storage space. It also has 4 GB of RAM, which is also very respectable when you need to run multiple applications. It runs a Core i5 processor that is more than powerful enough for most computing applications. This is also a refurbished product, which means that all of the hardware features will work perfectly.
This product runs Windows 7, which you may need to eventually upgrade, but for the price point, this little machine definitely can provide some great computing results.
- The display is relatively large for the price; it’s a full 14 inches that has a HD level of resolution.
- The 250 GB hard drive provides a robust amount of storage that will give you more than enough space for most programs.
- The i5 processor is something of a workhorse CPU that will be able to handle more complex computations than many similar laptops.
- Windows 7 is unfortunately relatively old. You’ll have to upgrade to Windows 10.
- If you’re looking for a sleek laptop, this laptop has a somewhat boxy design that you may not be looking for.
6. HP AMD E2-7110 14-inch Laptop
One of the first things that’s noticeable about this laptop is its excellent display technology. Not only does this display have some excellent viewing angles, but it also has a standard HD resolution of 1920 x 1080. This means that this is a great laptop for anyone that plans on doing any form of media viewing.
This display is also 14 inches wide, which is also another feature that’s great for media viewing. The backlighting is also fairly bright so that this is a good laptop for nighttime viewing.
Internally, this laptop has an AMD quad-core processor that allows for some decent computational performance. It also packs in about 4 GB of RAM and has a 32 GB eMMC hard drive that has no mechanical components. The laptop runs on Windows 10, which means that this is a fairly fully-featured laptop at a very competitive price.
- The display on this laptop is very impressive; it has a standard HD functionality and also has some impressive 178-degree viewing angles.
- This is a fairly portable laptop; it only weighs about 3.86 pounds, which means that you may forget that it’s in your bag.
- Its processor has quad-core functionality so that you can rely on it for some processor-intensive processes.
- The battery only lasts a little more than five hours, which can be problematic for anyone that can’t find a place to charge.
- For some reason, HP included a VGA connector; this slot would have been better used providing more USB ports.
7. Lenovo 110s Premium Built High Performance 11.6 inch HD Laptop
This product, which comes from Lenovo, has a wide variety of features that make it a good laptop for anyone looking to do some light computing. It uses an Intel integrated HD Graphics 400 chipset that definitely can provide some more than adequate graphical performance. Additionally, the display and body of the laptop are ultra-thin and you can expect a resolution of 1366 x 768 on the monitor itself.
This system has a Intel Celeron dual core processor under its hood, and it also packs in 2 GB or RAM and 32 GC of SSD (eMMC) storage. When it comes to peripheral support, this product has three total USB ports, a headphone/microphone combo 3.5mm jack, and an HDMI connector.
The laptop also includes a webcam with HD video, Bluetooth 4.0 functionality, and also has a media reader for some supplemented storage space. All in all, this laptop has some fairly impressive hardware, and it even comes in a sleek white that’s very attractive.
- With three USBs and a SD card-compatible media reader, it’s fairly easy to supplement the 32 GB of storage that this product comes with.
- This is a full-fledged laptop, which means that it runs a full version of Windows 10.
- If you’re looking for compactness, this laptop is very thin and sleek; it also only weighs 2.5 pounds.
- This laptop comes with a lot of bloatware, which can definitely slow down its overall performance.
- It has a tendency to take hours to charge and it lasts less than five hours on a full battery.
8. Fusion5 14.1″ HD Laptop Computer Intel x5-Z8350
The nest laptop, which comes from Fusion5, is a great option for anyone who needs a lightweight computer that they can use when they are away from home. It also features a very thin design, which makes it easy to fit in your messenger bag. Additionally, the 14.1-inch display is a great size that will accommodate many of your computing needs.
The laptop comes with an Intel Atom X5-z8350 as well as 2 GB of Ram to help streamline the loading time. It also has 64 GB of SSD storage space, but if that is not sufficient for your needs, you can expand it up to 128 GB, which is great for a laptop at this price point. This device also has onboard WiFi so that you can easily connect to the internet, Bluetooth 4.0 to easily transfer data, and USB 3.0 to make your transfer speed faster.
- This laptop is only four pounds, so it will not strain your back throughout the day.
- The keyboard and the track pad are very responsive, which makes it easier to navigate programs that you’re using.
- The memory can be upgraded to give you double the amount of memory that comes with this laptop.
- The power cable is quite short, so you’ll have to be relatively close to the wall to charge it.
- The speakers are not the best, so if you want to listen to music, you may want external speakers.
9. Dell Inspiron i3162-2040BLU 11.6″ HD Laptop
The first thing that you will notice when it comes to this Dell Inspiron is the bright Bali blue coloration of the device. In fact, the vibrant coloration of the laptop makes it really stand out, and the 11.6-inch screen looks great as well with the backlit display that is designed to eliminate glare. You can easily enjoy watching videos in HD with the 1366 x 768 resolution.
This laptop comes with an Intel Celeron N3050 and 2 GB of DDR3L or RAM, but it can be upgraded to 4 GB if you need the memory. Insofar as storage, there is 32 GB eMMC storage available on this laptop. If you listen to a lot of music, Waves Maxx Audio Pro is also included on this device so that you can hear everything clearly when you need.
This laptop also comes with Windows 10 installed, which means that Cortana will also be available to assist you with searching the web, playing music, and remembering your appointments.
- The bright blue coloration of this laptop is attractive and unique, which makes it stand out from other laptops.
- The battery life is exceptional; in fact, when you get the 25 percent warning, you’ll still have two hours.
- This laptop, which weighs less than three pounds, is easy to carry around when you need.
- When you first start this laptop, it seems a little slow, especially if you rush to open multiple applications.
10. ASUS E200HA Portable Lightweight 11.6-inch Intel Quad-Core Laptop
The final laptop that we are going to look at is the Asus E200HA, which is a device that was designed to be portable and very convenient for travel. In fact, the laptop, which is 11.6-inches, is slightly over two pounds.
When it comes to the speed of this laptop, the Intel Quad Core processor is capable of handling any of the computer needs that you may have without any slowdown; in fact, you can even stream videos and have applications running in the background without issue. It also has 4 GB of DDR3 RAM to help you optimize your processing speed and run the laptop without issue.
This laptop also comes with Asus Tru2Life Technology, which is great for making your photos and videos as vivid and as true to life when it comes to color as possible.
- The battery life of this laptop is impressive; in fact, it can last for 13 hours of video playback.
- This is a lightweight laptop that is perfect for travel; in fact, it is one of the lightest laptops on our list.
- The trackpad is very responsive, making it easy to use when space is limited for a mouse.
- There are only 2.0 USB slots available on this laptop, so transfer speeds will be slower.
- Bluetooth is not the best, which makes it difficult to use a Bluetooth mouse.
Best Laptop Under 200 Dollars – Buyers Guide
What are the best brands to consider for a budget-friendly laptop?
There are quite a few good brands available, but when you are looking for a budget-friendly option, you are not going to consider the same brand names as you would for a higher priced model. With that being said, some of the best brands for you to consider are:
Are there laptops under 100 dollars available for purchase?
Typically, this is a very low price point for a laptop, which means that finding a quality laptop for less than $100 will be very difficult. Most laptops are over the $100 price point, so if you are looking to save a bit on your purchase, you may want to look for a laptop under $200 instead. That being said, it is possible that you could find a refurbished model that fall under $100.
The battery life of a laptop is important if you want to use it without being tethered to a wall. Most laptops have a battery life that ranges from five hours to 12 hours, but you want to shoot for something that is going to last at least seven hours without needing to be recharged.
Can a budget-friendly laptop be used for word processing?
Word processing on a laptop takes very little processing power. In fact, you can even use the word processor on all of the laptops with that we have reviewed in this guide. Even if you do not have a laptop with the best specs, you can even use applications like Google Docs, Excel, and Microsoft Word to create documents, charts, and things that you may need for a presentation at your job.
Will there be fewer USB connections on a laptop under $200?
Some laptops may provide fewer USB connections for you to use, but in most situations, you will still have at least two. This gives you the option of using the USB connections to use an actual mouse or keyboard instead of the one that is built into the laptop. There will be other connections as well on the laptop, even if it is a budget-friendly device.
What type of USB connection should you look for?
USB connections have become faster over the years, so when you look for a laptop, you should always try to get the most up-to-date connections. Look for a USB 3.0 connection on the laptop that you select so that you can transfer files and data quickly across your devices. If 3.0 is not available, you need at least a few USB 2.0 slots to be available to you.
Can you find a good gaming laptop for less than $200?
Many of the games on the market that are popular amongst gamers are very demanding graphically. With that being said, you will need to find a budget-friendly laptop that has a relatively good graphics card. Many of the Intel graphics cards that are built into laptops at this price range cannot manager demanding games.
Having touchscreen functionality on your laptop makes it so that you can navigate the applications and the windows on your laptop with ease. It is a very convenient feature, but when you choose to purchase a budget-friendly model, you sometimes need to sacrifice convenience. That being said, touchscreen functionality is very rare at this price range.
How much RAM should you look for in a laptop?
Ram is important for any laptop; in fact, if you have a device that does not have a sufficient amount of RAM, then it is going to run poorly. To ensure that your processor has the memory that it needs to complete functions quickly. You are going to want to have at least 2 GB of RAM, though if you can get a laptop with 4GB of RAM, you will be glad that you did.
Is the size of the screen going to be smaller with a budget-friendly laptop?
Typically, the size of the screen is not going to be sacrificed in a budget-friendly laptop, but the screen is not going to be the biggest option on the market either. That being said, most of the laptops in this price range typically have a screen that is between 11 and 14 inches.
How many peripherals can you attach to a budget-friendly laptop?
Some individuals have no problem using the keyboard, the trackpad, and the built-in speakers, but others like to connect peripherals to their laptop to make their experience better. With these budget-friendly models, you can still connect these devices to your laptop; you just need to ensure that you have the proper amount of ports on the system.
Are integrated graphics good for gaming?
Integrated graphics are not designed to give you the best graphics possible, but if you get a laptop with the right graphics card, it should be able to play some games. This type of graphics card may not be able to manage the more demanding games, but it should work well for casual gamers who enjoy games with less demanding graphics.
What type of games are good for a budget-friendly laptop?
Since budget-friendly laptops often have graphics cards that are not designed for highly detailed graphics, you will be limited when it comes to games unless you are fine with a little lag or slowdown. That being said, games like Words with Friends, Solitaire, and even Hearthstone should work fine on a budget-friendly model.
What type of resolution can you expect from a laptop under $200?
In most situations, you can expect to have a resolution of 1366 x 768, which gives you an HD display that is great for watching videos. However, sometimes this is not the case, and the resolution goes up to 1920 x 1080. If you can find a high resolution in this price range, you may want to consider purchasing it.
The graphics card that comes in most of these laptops as well as the resolution of the screen makes it very easy to watch movies and videos without much lag in the imagery. That being said, streaming videos may be a bit slower on some models, but if you have the media that you want to watch on a thumb drive or a disc, a laptop in this price range is going to be perfectly fine.
How much storage space should a laptop have?
Obviously, the more storage you have, the more files you can keep on your laptop to use when you are away from home. That being said, some of the hard drives that you will find on these laptops are only 16 GB. This works well for word files and documents, but if you want to store any media on these laptops, you will want to shoot for at least 32 GB of space.
Who can use a budget-friendly laptop?
Budget-friendly laptops are a great idea for someone who simply needs a laptop to write. It is ideal for a business man or woman who is just starting out. It gives you some of the tools that you need to create streamlined presentations to show potential clients what you are capable of. It is also a great tool for a student who is just going away to college to take with them to write their term papers.
What is a Chromebook?
A Chromebook is a laptop that utilizes Google’s operating system. They are designed mainly to be used while you are connected to the internet because instead of downloading applications on the system, the Chromebook will access them through the cloud for you to use.
How can a Chromebook benefit a student?
A Chromebook is a very light device that a student can carry around with ease. The battery of one of these laptops typically lasts for quite a while, so if you are in a class without an outlet, you will be able to use the device to take notes with ease. A Chromebook is also great for a student because they boot up quickly, which means that you can be ready to take notes in about a minute.
Is it a good idea to have a Chromebook as well as a laptop?
Well, yes it is a good idea to have both devices because a Chromebook may be great for writing and surfing the web, it is not ideal for gaming. If you want a device that can be used for gaming and watching movies, you will want to purchase a laptop as well.
Are laptops in this price range Bluetooth ready?
Bluetooth is a simple way to connect devices, but it is not always available to use with every device. Fortunately, the majority of the laptops that fall into this price range still have Bluetooth capability, which makes it easy to listen to music and transfer sound to exterior speakers so that you can get a more immersive sound to go with the movie that you want to watch.
A web cam is designed to show your image to the person that you are talking to on voice chat. It is not needed for these types of programs, but it is nice to have. That being said, most of the laptops that we have reviewed in this guide do come with web cams that offer a pretty decent resolution for the video feed.
Will all budget-friendly laptops have optical drives?
In most situations, laptops that can be found within this price range do not have an optical drive. This means that you will not be able to burn CDs or DVDs, and you will need to view your media from a thumb drive instead of a disc.
Will a budget-friendly laptop come with Cortana?
Cortona is a virtual assistant that is built into the latest versions of both Windows OS and Chrome OS, so it will come with many of the laptops that fall into this price range. In fact, it is even a built-in feature that will be found in any Chromebook.
Can I connect my laptop to my TV for better viewing?
Yes, as long as the laptop that you purchase has an HDMI port, then you can easily connect to your TV or even a larger monitor to make your display larger. This is a great feature to have when you want to watch a movie with a friend.
How is the sound on a budget-friendly laptop?
The sound in these budget-friendly laptops may not be optimal, but they work in a pinch. The bass may be lacking a bit in some models, but if you have the option to connect external speakers to the device, the sound can be amazing.
Can these laptops be upgraded?
Most budget-friendly laptops cannot be upgrades, but a few do have the option to add a bit more RAM to the device. This may not seem like a notable upgrade, but even a little bit of RAM can make your computer run a little smoother.
Can you use an external hard drive with a budget-friendly laptop?
The hard drive in many of the budget-friendly laptops on the market is very small, which means that you do not have a lot of space to store your files. Fortunately, you can connect an external hard drive to many of these laptops to give yourself more storage space.
Is it possible to find a laptop in this price range with a full-sized keyboard?
Having a full-sized keyboard makes it easy to switch from a desktop computer to a laptop, but it is not something that is needed on a laptop. Many of the laptops in this price range do not have a full-sized keyboard, so if you work with numbers a lot, you may want to see if you can find one with a num pad.
What does it mean when a laptop is refurbished?
A refurbished laptop is one that has been used previously. It was retooled to work like a new computer, and it is sold at a price that is often much lower than it was originally sold for.
Laptops under $200 are great when you are on a budget. They may not give you the optimal specs, but they can be great for browsing the web, creating documents for work, or even watching some of your favorite media. Take a look at the products that we have reviewed in this guide to help you find the best laptop under 200 dollars for your needs.