Waxing your vehicle is a great way to ensure that it will keep its shine and great looking appearance for many years to come.
In this Ultimate Buyer’s Guide, we will take a look at the best car wax for 2018 & Beyond.
Let’s dive in…
Best Car Wax 2018
|Meguiar’s G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit|
|Clay||1.9 pounds||(2) 80 gram bars|
|MOTHERS 05750 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Liquid|
|Liquid||1.1 pounds||16 ounces|
|Meguiar’s Ultimate Paste Wax|
|Wax||N/A||11 oz. paste|
|Chemical Guys WAC20116 Butter Wet Wax||Wax||1.1 pounds||16 ounces|
|Liquid Glass Polish LG-100 Ultimate Auto Polish/Finish||Liquid||1.3 pounds||16 ounces|
|Optimum Car Wax||Wax||1.4 pounds||17 ounces|
|Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax||Liquid||1.5 pounds||16 ounces|
|P21S Carnauba Wax||Liquid||6.2 ounces||6.2 ounces|
|Finish Kare Paste Wax||Paste Wax||15 ounces||15 ounces|
|Waterless Car Wax Kit||Liquid||10.6 pounds||144 ounces|
- Reviews & Buyer’s Guide of Top-Rated Leather Conditioners
- Buyer’s Guide & Reviews of Top Thermal Pastes
- Ultimate guide of Top Windshield Wipers
- Buyer’s Review Guide of the Top-Rated Electric Shavers
1)Meguiar’s G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit
Remove surface contaminants and help make your wax protection last longer by using Meguiar’s G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit. With a smooth as glass finish, the Meguiar’s G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit is non-abrasive, so it will easily and safely remove any paint over spray. You can easily restore a smooth surface to your vehicle’s paint finish by easily removing fallout and environmental contaminants making your finish more durable.
With the Meguiar’s G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit, you get the best value and performance, plus you get the Supreme Shine Microfiber and full-sized Quik Detailer in each kit. You can also make your wax protection last longer by washing and drying your car thoroughly before you wax it which will let you quickly evaluate the surface of your car for the various defects that need correcting.
Even though claying is often thought to be a difficult detailing process and that it should only be done by trained professionals, the Clay Kit is a really simple process that can be done pretty quickly. When you use the clay bar and Meguiar’s Quik Detailer properly, you can gently remove bonded contaminants on your car’s painted surfaces. Your results will give you a smooth surface that you can easily glide your hand over.
- Easy to use, non-abrasive
- Makes paint extremely smooth
- Will take every single rust spot off your car
- Takes a bit of elbow grease and stamina on your part to remove the paint imperfections
- Kit doesn’t come with enough towels
2)MOTHERS Pure Carnauba Wax Liquid
With near-perfect reviews on pretty much all websites, the MOTHERS 05750 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Liquid is easy to pur on and remove giving you excellent protection. With so many consumers rating it so high, you see that ease of use is an important factor since products that are inferior are harder to remove completely. Cheap products tend to smear or leave a white residue behind, and this never happens with the MOTHERS 05750 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Liquid.
MOTHERS 05750 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Liquid is the finishing touch to your car care regimen giving you a deep shine with lasting protection on all clear coats and paints. It cleans and smooths the surface of your paint job for the most reflective shine while enhancing and preserving the finish of your vehicle. Delivering depth and richness that you will appreciate, MOTHERS 05750 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Liquid is non-abrasive so it is safe to use over and over for a long-lasting shine.
Remember that you should apply more than one coat for additional protection and that regular use will provide a long-lasting benefit to your car. MOTHERS 05750 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Liquid is a great product for those interested in a wax that is easy to apply and cleans, and that are looking for the best car wax for white cars.
- Applies and buffs easily
- Wax also cleans
- Water beads up and rolls off
- Doesn’t leave a good shine
- Needs to be applied with more pressure to work well
3)Meguiar’s Ultimate Paste Wax
With Meguiar’s Ultimate Paste Wax, you get a great product that uses Meguiar’s ThinFilm technology so you can apply it in direct sunlight and then remove it with just a few quick wipes of a cloth. This long lasting car wax will give you long-term protection and a guaranteed high level of durability for your car. This highly rated product is a favorite among reviewers.
It also features Meguiar’s latest Hydrophobic Polymer Technology that will increase the surface tension of your car’s finish so that water beads and then rolls right off. With durability, reflectivity, depth of color, and maximum protection, Meguiar’s Ultimate Paste Wax is perfect for all clear coats and glossy paints.
Featuring cross-linking synthetic polymers that form the longest-lasting protective barrier, Meguiar’s Paste Wax gives your car a mirror-like shine which amplifies reflections. Meguiar’s Microfiber Towel also feature uniquely cut fibers that quickly catch and remove wax without scratching your vehicle’s surface.
Meguiar’s Paste wax also features a Soft Foam applicator pad that guarantees a swirl free and smooth application. This product is Meguiar’s most pure synthetic hydrophobic wax that does not leave white residue on trim and plastic and keeps your car looking shiny and awesome.
- Nice shine, not very messy
- Easy to apply, water beads right off
- Gives your car a good shine and feel
- A little on the pricey side
- Not very durable or long lasting
4)Chemical Guys WAC20116 Wax
A more recent product gaining tons of interest and great reviews is the Chemical Guys Wax. With impressive results, you get a really deep shine on any color car you use it on, but it works best on the dark colored vehicles. You can also use this on a wet surface, and it will still work well.
With its new and improved formula, the Chemical Guys Wax gives you an unmatched surface with a deep shine that has a wet look. Easy to put on, Chemical Guys Wax shines brighter and lasts a long time making it one of the best car wax for black cars. Created from a blend of polymers, natural Carnauba, and resins, your car finish will be as shiny as if it were just washed.
Allowing you to achieve a deep gloss, this paste wax just melts like butter into any paintwork. Appreciated for its durable protection, easy to use capabilities, and show winning shine, Chemical Guys looks great on most non-textured surfaces that include chrome bumpers, stainless steel exhaust, painted wheels, and glasswork and windshields. With their ultra-refined, carnauba formula, they have created a wax that uses the natural cleaning powers of carnauba to expose the natural beauty of your car’s color while gently cleansing the paint.
Chemical Guys Wax is an affordable product that also provides a protective coating that fights the harsh effects of weather, plus it gives your car a smooth and protective layer that fights off bird droppings, water spots, and road tar. It offers more protection against the suns harmful UVB and UVA rays while fighting off the harmful effects of driving.
- Easy to apply and wash off
- Water beads and rolls right off
- Great smell, gives you an amazing shine
- Not long lasting and it comes off with the next car wash
- Doesn’t remove spray pai
5)Liquid Glass Polish LG-100 Ultimate Auto Polish/Finish
Considered one of the best car waxes in the industry, the Liquid Glass Polish LG-100 gives your car a mirror-like shine that you will love. It’s a sealant more than a wax, although it has features that are similar. Simple to apply and remove, the Liquid Glass Polish LG-100 gives you a glossy finish when it is applied deep and well making it one of the best liquid car wax on the market.
Liquid Glass Polish LG-100 works to stop road salt deterioration, acid rain, rust, corrosion, bugs, and tree branch scratches. It creates a very durable finish with little effort on your part, plus it is as hard as glass, so it won’t peel, crack, chip, or turn yellow. This is a safe product to use on glass and brightwork as well as on any type of paint.
Glowing like when you first bought it, your vehicle won’t crack or turn yellow with this sealant. You can use it in full sun and receive great results since it actually bonds faster when applied in the sun. Receiving great ratings from consumers, Liquid Glass Polish LG-100 is a long-lasting and durable product for your vehicle that only gets better the more you apply it.
- Affordable price, good value
- Bonds quickly and doesn’t crack or stain
- Gives you a glossy and long-lasting finish
- Bottle is smaller than expected
- It’s a little tough to get of
6)Optimum (SW2008P) Car Wax
Offering unmatched slickness and an added gloss, the Optimum Car Wax is a great formula that is suitable for any type of surface including paint, chrome, plastic, and glass trim. This is the perfect formula for any exterior surface paint, and it is the only wax that is UVB and UVA absorbent that will protect your paint job from the sun’s UV rays. With the perfect mix of sealant polymers and carnauba wax, the Optimum Car Wax gives you protection against the sun’s rays that is unparalleled.
This is a very easy wax to apply since you just need to spray and then spread it over your paint job with a microfiber towel. There is no need to get vinyl for extra protection when you only need fifteen minutes for the Optimum Car Wax to stick that will last up to five months.
You also don’t have to worry about scratched surfaces on your vehicle since it doesn’t have any abrasives or cleaners. With no harmful chemicals or pollutants, when you take care of your car with Optimum Car Wax you are also helping to take care of the environment.
- Easy to put on and remove
- Lasts a long time in harsh weather conditions
- Good protection from dirt and dust
- Not a good wax for black cars
- Doesn’t come with a spray nozzle
7)Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax
Known for high-quality waxes, Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax is an affordable wax that also provides a microfiber towel, plus an applicator pad that helps you apply the wax. And, if you do apply it in the sun, there isn’t any need to worry about the results being tampered with. Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax creates a mirror-like shine, and when it rains, the water just beads on the car paint.
Using Meguiar’s ThinFilm technology, you get an easy application and removal with a pure synthetic wax that gives you longer protection without a white residue. Amplified reflectivity keeps your plastic and trim clear while Meguiar’s proprietary Hydrophobic Polymer Technology increases the surface tension of your vehicle paint job so water rolls right off. Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax is perfect for any type of pain job including clear coats and will increase the depth and color of your vehicle’s paint.
Providing the longest lasting protection, Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax is a pure synthetic that gives you the deepest and darkest reflections as well as a glossy wet look. Using technology this allows the wax to last up to 6 months, this wax has a high rating among reviewers with its long-lasting protection that extends your car’s durability. Plus, the cross-linking barrier that is created by the wax gives your car an overall shine.
- Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax is an easy to apply liquid wax that gives your car a good shine
- Affordable price, good value, and you can apply it in the sun without worry
- It gives your car water beading protection
- Oily spots will appear after you wax your car
- The shine will wear off after about a wee
8)P21S 12700W Carnauba Wax
You can be guaranteed that the P21S will leave your vehicle with an incredible shine. With no powdery residue, the P21S won’t leave stains on the surfaces of your car that are made of rubber or plastic. Vehicles will take on an incredible gloss with this Carnauba-beeswax blend.
P21S contains no abrasives, dyes, perfumes, or additives, just the smooth and natural carnauba car wax. This healthy treatment will increase and protect your car’s finish, and it can also be layered for extra depth. Easy to apply, you don’t have to rub P21S in very hard as it will go on your car like a layer of silk.
Transforming uneven and dull paint into uniform, smooth, and brilliant color, P21S treats your car’s finish like a precious gem. You will see the natural highlights on your car’s paint job when using this wax with results that will last you a long time.
Named one of the best paste wax at an independent test, it can be applied by machine or by hand and buffs out easily and quickly. Receiving good reviewer ratings, the P21S is available in a 6.2-ounce box, which is enough to wax several cars. It is also one of the best waxes for dark colored cars creating a glossy finish and a deep shine.
- No white residue when you’re done buffing
- It has a short drying time and lasts a long time
- Affordable price in comparison to other products
- It is a little on the pricey side
- Poor packaging that lets it dry out quickly
9)Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax
For long-wearing wax, the 1000P car wax features an incredible heat-resistant protection that was inspired by a German synthetic formula. With the ability to withstand high temperatures, the 1000P can handle temperatures up to 250 degrees. Plus, it offers intense wear without fluctuations, and it provides extreme hardness, slickness, and high-gloss.
This is a very easy wax to apply that has just a little snagging at the paint. It also doesn’t loan onto the applicator like other waxes, you only need to use a clean and soft foam applicator to spread it with a circular motion onto the surface. After allowing it to dry for fifteen minutes, you can then buff it with a microfiber towel that is clean.
You can use this paste wax on all metal surfaces, automotive paints, and gel coat. Plus, it has the durability to make it one of the best waxes to use on RVs and boats. Providing heavy-duty resistance to bug remains, UV, hard water, and acid rain, the 1000P Paste Wax is available in a 15-ounce package. It also has a high melting point that surpasses what the carnauba wax can handle, and you will enjoy the smooth and slick surface of your vehicle without having to worry about the extreme heat on those hot sunny days.
- Easy to apply wax
- Gives your car a deep shine
- Difficult to buff off
- Doesn’t give you a really deep shine
10)Waterless Car Wax Kit
Receiving great reviews from consumers, the Waterless Car Wax Kit gives you high-quality performance that is free of ammonia and alcohol. This is a completely eco-friendly product, and it is safe to use on both inside and outside surfaces of your vehicle. Meeting all required standards, the Waterless Car Wax Kit comes with an incredible UV protective coating making it one of the most popular car waxes available.
Formulated to protect and clean your car’s finish, the Waterless Car Wax Kit is a cleaner protector. It was not created to give a dull finish shine, but to enhance and protect the shine that your vehicle already has. It is also beneficial to use the Waterless Car Wax Kit with a polish that has a really fine abrasive that will remove fine scratches and oxidize the paint finish that is giving it a dull look. This kit cleans and waxes simultaneously leaving you with a non-stick polymer coating that is UV protective on everything that you clean.
It easily wipes off unlike its traditional competitors leaving no residue. This is a safe product to use on every part of your car plus the interior. You can easily apply the Waterless Car Wax Kit with a hose and bucket wash and just simply spray the product on your car as you dry it.
Available in a 144-ounce bottle, the Waterless Car Wax can be applied several times before running out. This is a biodegradable and human-friendly product that won’t cause you any irritation if it touches your skin. Also used in military activities, you know this a high-quality product.
- It’s a natural product that is easy to apply
- Great protection from UV lights
- Gives your car a good shine while safely removing spots and dust
- Doesn’t remove stains well
- Leaves streaks
Best Car Wax Buying Guide
Tips Before You Choose a Car Wax
- Before you choose a car wax, keep in mind that premium car wax brands aren’t necessarily any better than their more affordable competitors. Some mid-priced liquids do well on consumer tests with some performing better than those that cost twice as much.
- Pastes do not perform better than liquids, but both are pretty easy to use.
- Spray-on and wipe-off products have shown to be less effective for cleaning and not effective against weather, rating the worst for durability. They are effective for new finishes and if you frequently wash and wax your vehicle.
- Most new cars have a clear-coat finish that even the best wax won’t improve. In this case, regular washing will be your best bet to protect your car’s finish, although a coat of wax will add additional protection against bird droppings, tree sap, and other contaminants. After about five weeks, you will have a significant loss of protection, so it important to wax your car every two or three months. And if you have an old car that has a dull finish, you can have very dramatic effects from waxing that can fill small finish imperfections and improvement in the car’s gloss making the paint look darker and more vibrant.
- Some abrasive waxes can damage the paint finishes on some darker-colored cars leaving swirl marks.
What Materials is Used in Car Wax?
Car wax is made from either synthetic material or carnauba wax. Both have their advantages and waxes combine the best of both of them. Synthetic car wax will last longer the carnauba wax before it needs to be reapplied again. It will also give you a shiny finish, and it is easier to apply.
Carnauba wax is natural, so it is environmentally friendly and non-toxic that will give you great protection, but it is more difficult to apply than synthetic wax is. If you choose a wax that uses both materials, you will get a great shine with the best protection.
More than just a great shine, waxing your car is just one step in maintaining your car’s appearance along with washing your car and using the right soap. The best way to maintain and protect your finish is to wash your car and then mix it with a good wax. The wax will protect your clean car from tree sap, the sun, debris, pollen, bugs, bird droppings, and grime.
How Frequently Should I Wax My Car?
Taking proper care of your car and its exterior takes some work, especially if you are hand waxing it as well. Once you get started, you’ll find it’s not that bad of a chore as long as you give yourself enough time to the job right and you don’t rush through it. Typically, car wax applications will last between 6 and 8 weeks, so you really only have to wax your vehicle once every two months or 6 times a year. This will increase if you do a lot of driving and you find that you need to re-apply wax more often than that.
When is the Best Time to Wax Your Car?
When you want to give your car a little extra something like the shine it had on the day you brought it home, it is easy to use some wax to restore it to its former glory. For it to give you any benefit, the wax needs to be applied well and a big consideration in how well you can apply wax is the weather. This will have a big impact on how the wax will react and what your finish will look like as a result.
• Summer Waxing – Waxing in the summer months is a pretty popular time of year to make sure your car looks its best. After being cooped up all winter, people want to get out and wash their cars in the sunshine, but this is unfortunately not the best time to wax your car as wax does not like the heat. Even though your vehicle may need a good waxing and the summer months seem like the perfect time to do it, the temperature will have an effect on the actual wax. When it gets to be eighty degrees, you wax will start to dry as you apply it making it unattractive, uneven, and unsuccessful. Avoid waxing on really hot days and aim for days with milder temperatures and try to wax in the evening hours. When the sun is setting, the evening will start to cool off and the wax will apply better, plus your car will have the entire night to dry, so by morning the wax will be set and the sun won’t be able to create any problems.
• Winter Waxing – During the winter months, you actually have the biggest need to wax your vehicle since the bitter cold and harsh snow can be hard on your car’s exterior. To increase the life of your paintwork, your car can benefit from a good wax job. Prior to the beginning of winter, make sure your vehicle has been waxed and then try and build a routine to wax it in between bad weather. Make sure not to use wax when it is colder than fifty degrees. That isn’t always possible in the dead of winter, so it might be necessary to wax your vehicle near a heat source to make sure you get an even wax that isn’t tacky. If you work in a small area using a buffing intensive wax, you can quickly move on to keep the wax pliable. After you are finished, place your vehicle in the sun to help cure the wax and finish the waxing process.
Always remember that car wax is a not a miracle product. All waxes will need patience, elbow grease, and time to work properly, so depending on how thorough you are, how fast you work, how old your car is, and what product you choose, you should expect to spend about another to do a good job. Also, keep in mind that you will sometimes see the word “polish” instead of “wax” and that these two terms are often used interchangeably by manufacturers. Both terms mean a product that gives you a protective and glossy coating that sometimes will remove embedded contaminants and oxidation. When you see a product labeled “cleaner wax”, you may have something that is more abrasive and can actually remove paint from your vehicle’s surface.
Your Car’s Age
If your car is only one or two years old, it should still have a good finish, so an easy spray wax is probably all that you will need. Easy spray wax products are also the types of wax that wear out quickly and are the best for weekly or special-occasion applications. Even though a quick spray-wax treatment will freshen your vehicle’s appearance, remember that no wax will really improve the shine on a new car.
If you plan to keep your car for a while, waxing it will help to preserve its finish over time. But, if you have an older car, especially one that has a finish that has started to oxidize or has grime embedded into it, you will probably want a wax that is a good cleaner that will maintain the finish. Of all the wax types, liquid waxes are the best for cleaning.
You will find that some waxes can be abrasive that have tiny particles or harsh chemicals that will leave a haze o fine scratches on your car’s finish. Lighter-colored cars will show fewer scratches than dark-colored vehicles, so if you own a darker car, be careful of products that are reviewed as leaving scratches or hazing. This can also show up on clear-coated surfaces when the finish is blemished by fine scratches making the pain look duller than it did before you waxed it. Make sure to check and see if the packaging says whether a product is safe for clear-coat finishes.
How Much Plastic Is in Your Car
If you have plastic parts in your care be aware that some waxes can leave a visible residue on parts that are porous and non-glossy like plastic body panels, bumpers, and door trim. Often a gray or black color, some cars will have lots of these types of parts, so you need to find a product that works well with plastic, otherwise, you will need to purchase a commercially available plastic cleaner to get remove of it.
Different types of car waxes are good for different car care needs. There are three different forms that each their own benefits. Basically, you will find that paste wax is easier to use, but liquid wax will clean the best. Spray wax is the easiest to use leaving the least amount of stains on your plastic parts, but it doesn’t last as long as the other two types.
- Liquid Waxes – This is a good wax for cleaning and for giving your vehicle gloss and durability. This can be a difficult to apply wax, especially to apply it evenly and then buff it out. You will see that most liquid waxes will dry to a haze within a minute, but that will vary depending on sunlight, wind, and the thickness of application.
- Paste Waxes – Easy to apply, it can be hard to remove the wax when you get close to the bottom of the container. Doesn’t quite have the overall performance of the liquid wax, and paste wax will normally dry to a haze within 30 seconds.
- Spray Waxes – This is a great wax for new cars with really nice finishes. It is also very handy and compatible with plastic. This is an easy and quick wax to use that can be wiped off without having to wait for it to dry. It is also good for spot waxing, but not great for cleaning and the worst of the three types of wax for durability.
- Test the wax before you wax your car. Trying it on an inconspicuous area like the door jam is recommended before using it on the entire car. Wax will never last indefinitely no matter how much you spend on it, how hard you work, or what the manufacturer claims are of the wax. Normally, even the best wax products will only last a few months.
- Don’t use old rags to apply wax to your car. Terry cloth rags are also not the best choice as they make it a lot harder to remove residue than if you use micro-fiber rags. Usually sold in packages of five or ten rage, they are widely available at big box chains, auto parts stores, and supermarkets at an affordable price.
- Make sure to completely wash and dry your car with a cleaning solution that is intended for automotive finishes before waxing.
- Do not wash or wax your car in direct sunlight or if the paint happens to be too hot to touch. The pain can soften in the hot sun and make it easier to scratch.
- When washing your car, use a lambs-wool mitt and either micro-fiber or applicator pads towels to wax it. Rags should not be used for washing since they can have trapped dirt and scratch the finish.
- A car’s finish can also be scratched by brushes and synthetic fabrics.
- Make sure to wash and wax in a small area which not only saves time. If you leave soap or wax on a car’s finish too long, it can be hard to remove.
- Start at the top and work down when washing or waxing your vehicle. The lower part of your car will be the dirtiest and you don’t want to contaminate your cloth or mitt and risk scratching the finish.
- The shine on a new car will not be improved by waxing it, but can give you protection against bird droppings, tree sap, and other environmental factors. Even though paste waxes is thought to offer better protection than liquids, they are more difficult to use.
A Good Wax will not only give your car a great shine, but it can also help to keep it clean and free of bugs and grime. Make sure to read the reviews and see which waxes work the best for your vehicle and will last the longest so you can make the best choice for your vehicle and the amount of time you can devote to regular wax maintenance.
- Best Car Wax 2018
- 1)Meguiar’s G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit
- 2)MOTHERS Pure Carnauba Wax Liquid
- 3)Meguiar’s Ultimate Paste Wax
- 4)Chemical Guys WAC20116 Wax
- 5)Liquid Glass Polish LG-100 Ultimate Auto Polish/Finish
- 6)Optimum (SW2008P) Car Wax
- 7)Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax
- 8)P21S 12700W Carnauba Wax
- 9)Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax
- 10)Waterless Car Wax Kit
- Best Car Wax Buying Guide