The beard has become very popular in the past few years.
But keeping your facial hair in optimal shape isn’t easy.
Fortunately, there are some great beard trimmers on the market that’ll help you achieve that stylish look that you want.
In this guide, we’re going to show you the Best beard Trimmers available in 2018 so that you can get the precise cut you want.
Best Beard Trimmers 2018
|Item||Number of Beard Attachments||Runtime||Waterproof?|
|Wahl Professional Peanut Clipper |
|Philips Norelco Multigroom All-In-One Series 3000||Thirteen||One hour||Water resistant|
|Panasonic Milano All-in-One Trimmer||One (19 settings)||50 minutes||Yes|
|Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 Grooming Kit||Eighteen||One hour||No|
|Philips Norelco Beard & Head trimmer Series 5100||Three (17 settings)||70 minutes||Yes|
|Remington PG6025 All-in-1 Lithium Powered Grooming Kit||Six||65 minutes||No|
|Remington MB4040||Three||120 minutes||No|
|Sminiker Professional Grooming Kit||Six||45 minutes||No|
|Wahl The Best Beard and Mustache Trimmer||One (Five Settings)||Two and a half hours||No|
|Remington PG6171 The Crafter: Beard Boss Style and Detail Kit||Nine||Three hours||Yes|
- A Complete Guide to the Top Electric Shavers
- Reviews & Buyer’s Guide to the Top Hair Clippers
- Ultimate Guide to the Top Nose Trimmer
- Reviews of the Best Teeth Whitening Kits
- Shower Heads Buyer’s Guide
Wahl Professional Peanut Clipper
One of the best features of the Wahl Peanut clipper is its built-in versatility. This product works excellent for styling and trimming beards, but it can also be used to cut the hair on your head and body as well. The product truly sports a peanut shape, which may look a bit silly, but is actually designed this way so that it has an ergonomic grip.
This clipper is so versatile and has been used by barbers for years now when they need to trim or style the beards of their customers. This is a wired professional beard trimmer, so you won’t have to worry about keeping this product powered up. It’s very lightweight to use and has detachable blades that’ll let you customize your trimming experience.
If you prefer a cordless experience, there is a cordless version of the peanut that can be charged via an attachable wire. Any version of the Peanut comes with guides that range from 0.25 to 0.5 inches.
- This trimmer is very compact; in fact, the entire device is only four inches long.
- It’s also very light; if you’ll be taking a while, you won’t feel fatigue because it only weighs four ounces.
- With its rotary cutting system and strong motor, you can expect a very powerful performance out of this beard trimmer.
- This product really fits naturally inside of your hand, which means that you won’t lose your grip as you trim.
- For some reason, the front-end blade assembly has a tendency to detach over time.
Philips Norelco Multigroom All-In-One Series 3000
When you’ve got a lot of beard hair to manage, this Phillips Norelco Multigroom Series 3000 may just be the best beard trimmer for long beards. Why is this the case? Well, this trimmer comes with more than a few long beard-friendly attachments; in fact, Phillips Norelco has packed in 13 of these attachments so that you have some great options.
While you may be thinking about your beard, it’s useful that this product is designed to provide more than just beard trimming. In fact, some of the Multigroom 3000’s unique trimmers are designed to help you manage nose hairs, ear hairs, and the hairs on top of your head. It’s this versatility that really makes this a great multi-use product.
The blades on this product are designed to be self-sharpening, which means that the blades stay razor-keen even years after purchase. In fact, this is a very low-maintenance product; the blades don’t even need to be oiled.
- With 13 different attachments, this beard trimmer has all the versatility you need in order to look your best.
- Maintenance is super easy with this product; you don’t need to sharpen or oil the blades.
- The beard trimmer comes packed in with a travel storage bag that will keep the trimmer and its accessories all in one place.
- This isn’t a waterproof beard trimmer, but fortunately, you can run the attachments under water to clean them.
- If you need a trimmer for stubble, this may not be the product for you.
Panasonic Milano All-in-One Trimmer
Even some of the best cordless beard trimmers can’t be used while you’re in the shower, which means that your morning grooming process can take longer. This Panasonic Milano trimmer, on the other hand, has an excellent level of functionality and is also totally immersible so that you can trim up in the shower.
The Milano also really stands out due to its amazing versatility; it has 19 shaving settings that will allow you to experience a heightened degree of precision during your grooming. Additionally, its blades are very sharp and cut at a 45-degree angle, which means that you will experience a truly close shave with the Milano.
When it comes to daily use, the Milano is also designed amazingly for ease-of-use. It has a very ergonomic design and its grip is rubberized so that it’s hard to drop, even when it’s wet. To clean the Milano, all you’ll have to do is run it under the tap and let the water do the work.
- This product uses an AC charging stand to provide power. This is a very convenient system that makes it nearly impossible to forget to charge the trimmer.
- As a waterproof trimmer, you can trim up your beard in the shower and run the device under the water to clean it.
- With 19 settings, you can easily find the precise cutting configuration for the beard styles that you want to try out.
- This shaver takes a few hours to fully charge, which can be somewhat inconvenient.
Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 Grooming Kit
Another Phillips Norelco product, the Multigroom 5100 is designed to provide an even higher amount of settings than the previously reviewed Multigroom 3000. This product comes with a full 18 attachments that provide beard trimming, noise trimming, and detailing options that make this a truly versatile option for just about anyone. In fact, this is one of the best stubble trimmer devices available today.
This 5100 series Multigroom product is also made of truly premium components. Phillips Norelco utilized chromium steel in the design of the blades, which is very durable. Also, these blades have been designed to self-sharpen, which means that they’ll stay razor-keen, even years after purchase.
When you need a quick shave, simply press the turbo power button, and you’ll be amazed at the cutting power of this beard trimmer. This is also a very travel-friendly product; the lithium-ion battery is designed to provide up to a full hour of shaving on a charge and is adaptable to the different voltages that you can find around the world.
- There are some truly specialized attachments in this grooming kit that can trim your beard, noise, and ears.
- It comes with a carrying case that makes it very convenient for long distance travel.
- The battery can be faulty, which means that it can break down after a few months
Philips Norelco Beard & Head trimmer Series 5100
This Phillips Norelco product also falls in the 5100 series but has a much more focused design. This is definitely a beard and head-only product that happens to have some great built-in length settings. In fact, this product comes with 17 built-in length setting sand hair clipping combs so that you’ll have a wealth of options when trimming up in the mornings.
When you need to adjust the settings, all you’ll have to do is utilize the 5100’s zoom wheel. This easy to manipulate system allows you to have an excellent level of precision and control during your grooming session. Additionally, the product also includes a hair lift comb that allows you to ensure that you’re trimming your beard to even specifications.
The 5100 is fully immersible, which means that you can clean it under running water. The blades are self-sharpening, which will cut down on daily maintenance significantly. The short and long hair clipping combs are also perfect for managing longer beards.
- This device uses a lithium-ion battery to keep powered up. On a single charge, you can expect 70 minutes of trimming.
- The 5100 uses a lift and trim technology that helps make your trim job more efficient.
- The tips of the blades are rounded, which will cut your hair without causing excessive irritation.
- You can fully submerge this trimmer. This is great for trimming in the shower and cleaning the product under a faucet.
- If you want a trimmer with a lot of heft and durability, this isn’t for you; the product feels hollow due to its all-plastic construction.
Remington PG6025 All-in-1 Lithium Powered Grooming Kit
If you’re looking for one of the best beard trimmer for men that travel, then this product, which comes from Remington, is an excellent option. The PG6025 has several attachments that you can take with you on a trip, and even comes with a neat travel pouch that can help you keep it all organized and easy-to-access. The attachments include the basic beard trimmer, a trimmer for the nose, and an ear and detail trimmer.
The product is also excellent for stubble because of its included stubble combs, which are great for getting a perfectly stylized look. Remington used surgical steel in its blades, and as a result, they are designed to self-sharpen and will last you for years of trimming.
When you’re on the road, you don’t always have the ability to thoroughly clean every component of your trimmer. For the sake of convenience, Remington designed this product to be waterproof so that you can simply run it under the tap for cleaning.
- With its lithium battery, this product can be used for 65 minutes on a charge.
- It comes with a soft-bodied storage pouch that’s great for use while traveling.
- The green LED on the trimmer’s body lets you know the precise level of power remaining.
- If the product is dead, you can’t just plug it in to get a quick shave.
Remington MB4040 Lithium Ion Powered Men’s Rechargeable Mustache Beard and Stubble Trimmer
This Remington product has one of the best cordless runtimes of all of the beard trimmers in this guide. On a full charge, you can expect a full 120 minutes of trimming with this product, which means that when you’re on a trip, you may not have to charge this device at all. A fairly long runtime like this adds a lot of convenience to a trimmer so that you can forget to charge it from time to time.
This is also a very small and lightweight trimmer; it fits easily in your hands and only weighs a few ounces so that your hands won’t get tired. The blades inside the assembly are titanium coated so that they won’t rust and will maintain their edge over time.
When you need to change up your trim, there are nine length settings to choose from. The product also includes three precision ground blades so that you can get a more efficient cut during your shaving session.
- The precision ground blades are designed so that the product will never snag or pull at your beard.
- The 120 minutes of trimming power is amazing, especially at the lower price point.
- You can control the trimming lengths via a zoom wheel that grants access to nine settings.
- This product only works on a 110 V connection, which can be a problem for travelers.
- It isn’t waterproof.
Sminiker Professional 5 in 1 Waterproof Man’s Grooming Kit Beard Trimmer
This beard trimming kit from Sminiker really stands out because of the fact that it provides such a well-organized trimming station style experience. The kit comes with a stand that not only allows you to charge the device between shavings but also provides ample room for the storage of the various attachments that come with the product.
And there are definitely more than enough attachments for you to have a good shave and trim. This product is a five-in-one because it includes attachments that can be used as a full trimmer, a beard and mustache trimmer, a detail trimmer, a stubble trimmer, and a nose hair trimmer. If you have extra thick or coarse hair, you can use the turbo boost option to provide a little extra oomph to your shaving session.
- This product is partially waterproof, which means that you can run it under the tap in order to clean it.
- The stand presents a truly organized product so that you can quickly trim the areas of your face that you want to.
- The charging indicator really makes it obvious when the product needs to be charged.
- If you’re traveling, it can be hard to keep all of the trimming components in their slots.
Wahl The Best Beard and Mustache Trimmer
Wahl put a lot of effort into the aesthetic design of this particular product. It has a sleek, ergonomic look that really makes it one of the better-designed products in this guide. Wahl designed the entire body of this trimmer using stainless steel, which really makes this a very durable product that can easily be used as a travel trimmer.
Not only does this product handle just about any type of beard, but it’s also one of the best mustache trimmer models available. It has five settings that can work with any type of mustache or beard and also provides styling options that you wouldn’t have with a pair of clippers. Also, some devices can have a very loud sound output, but Wahl designed this beard and mustache trimmer to have a whisper-quiet operation so that you don’t disturb your travel mates.
- The stainless steel barrel that is used in this product is exceptionally durable – this product can take a few hits.
- It has one of the sleekest designs available in modern beard trimmers.
- Wahl designed this trimmer so that it will never nick the skin, pull hairs, or jam up during operation.
- The head of the trimmer isn’t adjustable at all; you have to use plastic guides.
Remington PG6171 The Crafter: Beard Boss Style and Detail Kit
When you’re looking to style your facial hair, this product from Remington really provides a wealth of options. As you might expect, a product called “the Crafter” is really designed to provide design options for your beard rather than being a simple beard cutter. As a result, this is a great option for anyone that’s looking to create a unique-looking beard design.
The product has 11 stainless steel blades that each is self-sharpening so that you can have a versatile shaving experience during your daily routine. This is also a very ergonomic and easy-to-use product; it even has an extended neck that makes reaching the harder to trim areas of your face simple.
Did you forget to charge the trimmer? In that case, this product has a quick-charge feature that lets you charge it for five minutes so that you can have a single trim. You can also clean this by just running it under the faucet; it’s completely waterproof.
- This trimmer comes with 10 lock-in trimming lengths so that you can style your beard to your exacting specifications.
- It has a turbo mode for harder-to-trim beards that have coarser or thicker hairs.
- It has a three-hour runtime on a single charge, which means this is good for travel.
- It comes with a thick and durable travel case.
- Remington states that this product should be oiled, but for some reason, they didn’t include oil in the packaging.
Beard Trimmer Buyer’s Guide
Why not use a standard pair of clippers?
While you definitely can use a traditional pair of clippers to style and cut your beard, a beard trimmer will typically have more features that simply will make trimming your beard easier. A dedicated beard trimmer will have guides for your beard length, some can be waterproof, and these are also much more lightweight and travel-worthy than a standard pair of clippers.
What are the top brands for beard trimmers?
There are several brands of beard trimmers on the market, and there are many manufacturers out there that put out a great product but are lesser known. That being said, the current market leaders are:
- Phillips Norelco
How close of a shave can you expect?
There’s something of a stigma associated with electric shavers and trimmers that says that these products can’t shave as close as a traditional razor. Fortunately, this stigma isn’t at all true. With a modern beard trimmer, you can get a very close shave; in fact, with many of the items we reviewed, you can trim away all stubble.
To be honest, with a cordless model you are making a couple of sacrifices. The chief one is that you won’t necessarily be able to shave with many if you forget to charge them. Fortunately, with some products, you can get a quick charge function that will let you shave on a more impromptu basis.
Additionally, cordless shavers may not have as much raw power as a corded shaver. Usually, you won’t need a lot of power, but some manufacturers sacrifice a stronger motor for one that doesn’t require a lot of electricity.
How long does charging take?
This can vary based on the model of beard trimmer that you select. Some beard trimmers can take as long as an hour for a full 90 minutes of cordless use, which is a pretty good tradeoff. As mentioned previously, some products also have a quick charge feature that will make trimming your beard very convenient, but even these have a full charge functionality that can take as much as an hour.
How do quick-charge models work?
With some products, the quick charge function adds a lot of versatility to the overall trimming experience. For example, the Wahl beard trimmer has a quick-charge function that allows it to be charged only for a single minute, but will grant a full three minutes of shaving. While it’s still advisable to simply have a fully charged trimmer, this can save you having an unshaved face when you’re caught unawares.
When traveling overseas, will some cabled beard trimmers work under different voltages?
Fortunately, some beard trimmers are designed to work with different voltages, but you’ll still need country-specific adapters so that you’ll be able to power your trimmer overseas. Alternatively, if you’re only going for a week or so, you can also simply bring a wireless model and charge your trimmer prior to the trip; most trimmers will last for several trimming sessions without the need of a charge.
Can some beard trimmers be used in the shower?
This is one of the key benefits of some models of beard trimmer. Those trimmers that have waterproof functionality can be used while in the shower so that you can wash and shave all at the same time. This can save you time during your morning routine, and hair that is exposed to the damp air of a shower is actually much easier to cut.
Can some be run under a running faucet?
Those models of beard trimmer that are waterproof are designed to be run under the faucet in order to clean the blades and trimmer components. These are very convenient because running water can really get into the nooks and crannies of your trimmer and give it a deep clean that’s hard to get with just a shaver brush.
When you’re traveling overseas or locally, it’s a great idea to bring a cordless beard trimmer. This can be a beard trimmer that has a base station, or it can be a trimmer that needs to be charged via a charging wire. In any case, these trimmers work well for quick spot-shaving sessions and will keep your beard in tip-top shape during your trip.
How much can you expect to pay for a good beard trimmer?
The prices of the models of beard trimmer on the market can vary by a lot. Typically, the number of attachments, the charging method, and the feature set can all make a major impact on the price point. That being said, you can expect to spend anywhere between the prices of $15 and $100 for a good beard trimmer.
Are there trimmers that can be used on other parts of the body?
Fortunately, there are beard trimmers that have a very versatile style of functionality. Typically, these beard trimmers will include attachments that allow you to shave your nose hair, shape up your hairline, or even trim areas of your body below your head. If you’re looking for a more multipurpose trimmer, take a look at the attachments the trimmer comes with.
What does it take to clean a beard trimmer?
For models that don’t have waterproof functionality, you’ll typically be supplied with a shaving brush. These shaving brushes are designed to be used on a powered-down trimmer so that you can sweep away any excess cut hairs that have accumulated around the blade assembly of the trimmer.
What is the average lifespan of a good beard trimmer?
Over time, even the best beard trimmers can start to degrade. Many will lose their shaving power, may start to pull at your beard, or can simply experience a dead motor. Some trimmers can be expected to survive more than a decade of daily use, but it’s much more common for even the better beard trimmers to last about five years or so.
While this may seem like a short lifespan, you have to consider that this five year period is assuming that you’ll be using your trimmer on a daily basis.
What are some beard trimmer accessories that you should consider?
When you’re trying to get your best possible beard shave, you can consider several extra accessories that can augment your trim. One of these accessories is a clip-on guide. A clip-on guide is an attachment that clips onto the top of your trimmer so that you can change up the length of the cutting area.
These guides actually come with many trimmers, but some may have to be bought by the manufacturer. In addition to these guides, a good pair of shears can help you style your beard to a high level of precision. Shears can help you quickly manage stray hairs and add depth to your overall beard.
When you’re trying to create the perfect beard via a beard trimmer, there are several great products on the market that can augment your experience. These include:
- Beard balm
- Beard shampoo
- Beard oil
- A beard comb
- Beard soap
Check out this infographic from Beardoholic that can really help you understand the value of these products.
Do these types of grooming implements lose sharpness over time?
Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever, and beard trimmers can definitely lose their shaving effectiveness over the years. Even considering this, many will let you purchase replacement blades and components so that you can extend the life of your beard trimmer. Also, since beard trimmers are typically relatively budget-friendly, after a few years it can be very economical to just replace the device.
What are the extra attachments for?
When you purchase a good beard trimmer, some come with up to 20 unique attachments, so it can get fairly confusing when you’re simply trying to trim up your beard before work. Despite the seeming complexity, these trimmers can very useful; some will trim your beard to a precise length and others will let you trim up other parts of your body, so it can be very useful to purchase an item with a lot of attachments.
What are the grooming options with one of these trimmers?
While you can simply buy a razor blade or a pair of clippers to simply cut off your beard, a good beard trimmer’s best functionality is its ability to shape your beard. The beard has becomes very popular today, but few people want scraggly beard styles. With this in mind, a good beard trimmer will usually have several awesome attachments that’ll allow you to style your beard so that it will look very attractive.
Is ergonomics important?
While you won’t be trimming your beard for hours in most circumstances, having a beard trimmer that’s easy to hold and use for an extended period can be very useful. With this in mind, ergonomics can be very useful so that you don’t experience any fatigue as you shave up your beard. Also, having a nice grip on your trimmer will keep it more firmly held in your hand so that you won’t drop it.
Do some of these beard trimmers use batteries?
Some beard trimmers use batteries so that you will neither have to charge them or plug them in. These can definitely be convenient for travelers because all the traveler will have to do is bring backup batteries for the trip. That being said, batteries for a good trimmer can add a lot of cost over time and some beard trimmers will only provide about 10 hours of trimming before killing the batteries.
Do some use charging stations?
Beard trimmers that come with charging stations can be very handy when you’re out on the road or even when you’re trimming at home. You can simply place the charging station on your sink and charge your trimmer there between uses. When it’s time to trim, simply pull out the fully-charged trimmer and give yourself a beard shapeup.
What are the best maintenance tricks for a beard trimmer?
While some models require no oiling, one of the best things you can do for most trimmers is to keep them oiled. This will ensure that the blade assembly won’t slow down, that your blades themselves will remain keen, and it’ll also keep the motor running smoothly. Usually, most trimmers that can be oiled will come with some in the pack, but when you run out, you can use both baby oil and mineral oil to keep your trimmer in tip-top shape.
Over the years, a lot of buildup can definitely form inside the body of your beard trimmer. This stuff is insidious because it’s not easy to even know what’s forming inside the blade assembly, so most people only become aware of the buildup when the trimmer starts to work less effectively. When this happens, you may have to take the trimmer apart and perform some maintenance so that you can get the trimmer back into operational shape.
Should you tailor which beard trimmer you buy to your face?
In general, most beard trimmers will shave just about any beard or face type. That being said, if you feel that your type of face can use a little more specialization, there are many beard trimmers that have multiple attachments so that you can shave as you see fit.
What’s the best way to pack away a portable beard trimmer?
When you’re on the road, the last thing you need is to have your beard trimmer become damaged as the result of a baggage handler’s negligence. With this in mind, several manufacturers include travel cases with their products. These cases are typically hard and can take a few dings without causing your beard trimmer any additional stress or damage.
Even if your trimmer doesn’t come with one of these, it’s a good idea to purchase a case for your trimmer. Simply pack it towards the middle of your luggage and you shouldn’t have any problem with a broken trimmer. Also, don’t neglect to bring any batteries, cords, or charging stations with you on your trip.
How do you oil a beard trimmer?
After every shave, you should try your best to oil up your beard trimmer so that it can always cut and trim your beard at its highest level of performance. Oiling is a fairly simple process; simply, apply about a drop of oil to the trimmer’s blade assembly and run the trimmer for about 10 or 20 seconds. This process will oil all of the important components.
With a beard trimmer, which direction should you shave?
For the most part, if you’re going for closeness without any potential for irritation, it’s a good idea to shave in an upward motion. Don’t go over the same area multiple times, and you should experience a relatively close shave. If you’re shooting for styling options like a fade, simply use the 1, 2, or 3 guards to adjust the length of the shaved area.
What are some beard styles that you can achieve with a good beard trimmer?
As mentioned, one of the best features of a good beard trimmer is its ability to help you achieve some excellent beard styles. Here are a few that you can try out with your new trimmer:
- Circle Beard
- The Van Dyke
- The Goatee
- The Anchor Goatee
Will you have to replace the blades?
Some beard trimmers have non-replaceable blades, and some you’ll have to replace. In any situation, even if your blades are replaceable, it’s completely up to you whether to replace them or purchase a brand new beard trimmer. Even if you keep the blades oiled, it’s a rare trimmer that’ll have blades that will last more than a decade, so deciding whether or not to replace the blades is something you’ll have to do eventually.
Wrapping It Up
Keeping a fresh beard is amazing. In past years, a full beard was considered unkempt, but these days, a nicely groomed beard is a sign of stylishness. The products that we’ve presented to you in this guide are all excellent for the beard aficionado, so go over our reviews, and check out our buyer’s guide so that you’ll find the best beard trimmers for your beard.
- Best Beard Trimmers 2018
- Wahl Professional Peanut Clipper
- Philips Norelco Multigroom All-In-One Series 3000
- Panasonic Milano All-in-One Trimmer
- Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 Grooming Kit
- Philips Norelco Beard & Head trimmer Series 5100
- Remington PG6025 All-in-1 Lithium Powered Grooming Kit
- Remington MB4040 Lithium Ion Powered Men’s Rechargeable Mustache Beard and Stubble Trimmer
- Sminiker Professional 5 in 1 Waterproof Man’s Grooming Kit Beard Trimmer
- Wahl The Best Beard and Mustache Trimmer
- Remington PG6171 The Crafter: Beard Boss Style and Detail Kit
- Beard Trimmer Buyer’s Guide
- Why not use a standard pair of clippers?
- What are the top brands for beard trimmers?
- How close of a shave can you expect?
- Do you sacrifice anything for a cordless model?
- How long does charging take?
- How do quick-charge models work?
- When traveling overseas, will some cabled beard trimmers work under different voltages?
- Can some beard trimmers be used in the shower?
- Can some be run under a running faucet?
- What kinds of beard trimmers are best for travel?
- How much can you expect to pay for a good beard trimmer?
- Are there trimmers that can be used on other parts of the body?
- What does it take to clean a beard trimmer?
- What is the average lifespan of a good beard trimmer?
- What are some beard trimmer accessories that you should consider?
- What kinds of products go well with a good beard trimmer?
- Do these types of grooming implements lose sharpness over time?
- What are the extra attachments for?
- What are the grooming options with one of these trimmers?
- Is ergonomics important?
- Do some of these beard trimmers use batteries?
- Do some use charging stations?
- What are the best maintenance tricks for a beard trimmer?
- What should be done if the beard trimmer starts to malfunction?
- Should you tailor which beard trimmer you buy to your face?
- What’s the best way to pack away a portable beard trimmer?
- How do you oil a beard trimmer?
- With a beard trimmer, which direction should you shave?
- What are some beard styles that you can achieve with a good beard trimmer?
- Will you have to replace the blades?
- Wrapping It Up